Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum and new to home theater in general, so apologies if I sound like a newbe but I am.
I'm planning my next apartment's new system, the place is under construction still so I wont have real pictures for a while but here's my thought, and please be as honest as you'd like!
Below you can see the blueprint and a terrible paint sketch of my idea, I'm thinking a 7:2 system (or a 5:2 if you guys think that I cramped too many speakers on the lounge area) all with in ceiling speakers, normal sub and a projector and a retractile projector screen.

A couple of issues that I'm sure you'll comment on, the window behind the couch will be sorted with blackout blind, the door behind the screen is an issue since it's a guest bathroom, my though is not to use it when the screen is down of course, there are 4 other bathrooms in the apartment so we should be fine, would I regret that?

In terms of equipment, here's what I'm thinking, and this is taken out of thin air so feel free to comment/criticize:
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR636

Projector: either an Epson 5030UB or a 3020, the latter is almost half the price of the first, what's your experience, the distance between the projector and the screen would be approximately 3 meters (10 feet)

Speakers:
here I'm completely lost, I was looking at the Polk Audio RC80i for the back, surround and front speakers, can they all be the same? I have no idea about the central one or the sub (the subwoofer would be on the floor, on the side of the couch).
For the second zone, I was thinking Polk Audio 80 F/X RT, does that make sense?

Total budget would be something around 3-4000 USD

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
ZONE 1

Just a comment.... It looks like you're placing Surround Back (SB Left and SB Right) over the couch where you will sit. And Surround Left and Surround Right above and forward of where you sit.

Generally, Surround L + R are slightly behind listeners.

What do others think? I don't have in-wall/ceiling speakers.

ZONE 2

My personal preference would not put Left and Right on opposite sides of where I'm sitting, listening.... Too much of a distraction. I would try to put them both near a wall, so that the Left + Right source is localized in a way the ear will find natural.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Ok. Just a couple things. As chromejob said, surrounds should be slightly behind, and if the couch has to be against the back wall I'd go 5.1. Imo, it's not enough room for the speakers to work properly. I'd also move the L/R more in line with where the center is.(forward). Are in ceiling speakers an absolute? Performance is a compromise at best IMO, and I would really try to go more conventional.(maybe in wall?) At least with the front 3. I have some polk rc85i in another part of my house, and they are very nice. For what they are. A better place for the sub would help a lot too, but it looks like options are slim.
Welcome!

·
Super Moderator
9,186 Posts
I would highly recommend NOT going with ceiling speakers for the front three. They are so severely off-axis that you will get severely-reduced upper-frequency information from them.

To get an idea what I’m talking about, imagine what a regular speaker in the room would sound with a heavy blanket thrown over it. The highs are what give the audible clue for imaging, such as when a sound pans from left to right. Without it you aren’t going to be able to tell what speaker a sound is originating in. IOW, you won’t be able to tell if the sound is coming from the right, left or center speaker. It’s just going to be a wall of muffled mush across the front channels. The only highs you’ll get will be from the back speakers overhead, which is going to sound really weird, unnatural and distracting.

In-wall (i.e. facing the seating) would be a much better option if you can’t do traditional speakers.

I agree with willis, with the couch against the wall you want a 5.1 set up. 7.1 only works when the back pair are behind the listening position.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello, thank you for the valuable tips.
I can probalby have wall mounted speakers for the surround speakers, and might be able to pull off a in-wall for the L and R, however, if I put an in wall central speaker it will end up behind the projector's screen, wouldn't it be a major issue?

for zone 2 I'm flexible, I wanted to with in-celining to keep the sound system discrete.

What do you suggest regarding the equipment receiver/speakers/projector?

thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
It looks like the center of the screen is at the right side of the door opening. If you go on wall, get three of the same with matching brackets and mount the l/r where you show the in walls, and mount the cc below the screen. There will surely be studs there for the door framing. If not, add what you need. You could install 2x6 braces between the studs for the l/r brackets to mount to. You might have timbre issues, but that's probably what I'd do with the center even if you did go in wall. Zone 2, seems ok with in ceiling. Check out Beale street audio (???)for some in ceiling subs for zone 2. IMO in wall/ceiling should be considered last, but due to your tight confines, might be best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello, excellent idea, thanks willis, the center is a little offset but I'm sure I wont hear the difference.

I feel wiser already, what a great forum!

Now to next question.. equipment, surfing around I've put together these two options, an expensive one and a cheaper one:

Expensive
L + R
Klipsch R-5650-W pair
$700,00
C
Klipsch R-5502-W 1
$400,00
surround
Klipsch Reference RS-42 II pair
$360,00
Subwoofer
Klipsch R-110SW
$550,00

Zone 2
Boston Acoustics CS280 pair
$240,00

Receiver
??
$500,00

Projector
Epson Home Cinema 3020 1080p, HDMI, 3LCD, Real 3D 1
$1.400,00

Cheaper
L + R
Polk Audio RC85i pair
$360,00
C
Polk Audio 255C-RT 1
$200,00
surround
Bose® 161 pair
$320,00
Subwoofer
?? Klipsch SW-110
$300,00

Zone 2
Boston Acoustics CS280 pair
$240,00

Receiver
??
$400,00

Projector
Epson Home Cinema 3020 1080p, HDMI, 3LCD, Real 3D 1
$1.400,00

What would you suggest? Also, I'm completely lost about receivers...

THANKS!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Ok! That's a list. For fronts I like the 5502 more than the 5650. Mounted vertically. 3 of them would only be 100more.(if I can add lol) Either way, I'd use 3of the same. The 42's look good for surround duty. If the couch could move off the wall some, it would help surround imaging, and calm the bass down. Speaking of bass, I'd also recommend a sub from an ID company like SVS, PSA, rythmik, HSU, or reaction audio. The klipsch sub rolls off to high(27hz listed), and would do ok for music. But for movies, it wouldn't go deep enough. Someone more qualified will have to talk about projectors, but I do know epson seems to be a good value, as well as BenQ. Receivers...I'm outta room.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
For Receivers, I Have an Onkyo and I wish I had bought a Denon. For the Price/Feature Value, either is very hard to beat. HOWEVER, My Onkyo stopped working within the first 90 days and was repaired under warranty. Would have cost me $350.00 but repair that time was free. Worked well for nearly a year, then went bad again. This time I'm going to try and repair it myself. Repair guy told me almost all they see in their shop are Onkyo's, and even they have trouble getting parts for them. They recommended Denon. In fact the repair shop has stopped taking in Onkyo's because of the parts problem! They are a totally independent shop, affiliated with many companies to do warranty work and they don't SELL anything!

I concurr with the other posts re; speakers and placements. These guys are VERY helpful.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Airplay on my Yamaha is about as reliable as a bag of wet mice. Just FYI.

Interesting re: the Onkyo. What model?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
My onkyo is an 808 that had a board put in it they're honoring repairs through 2018(IIRC) even out of warranty. Mine was just past warranty. It's older so no AirPlay, but I use an airport express. Have to restart my phone once in awhile but mostly perfect.

·
Registered
918 Posts
AVR Zone 2 warning:

I haven't researched AVR's in the last several years so maybe this isn't an issue anymore...

Many AVR's will NOT output digital sources to Zone 2.
In other words, if you have all equipment connected to the AVR using digital connections (i.e. DVD player, BluRay player, CD player, Roku, cable box...), the AVR will NOT output any of these to Zone 2.
If you want anything such as the CD player or Roku to be output to Zone 2, they must use analog connections.

Digital Connections/Cables: HDMI, Optical, TOSLink, S/PDIF, Coaxial Digital
Analog Connections/Cables: RCA (Composite), Phono

·
Registered
192 Posts
For Receivers, I Have an Onkyo and I wish I had bought a Denon. For the Price/Feature Value, either is very hard to beat. HOWEVER, My Onkyo stopped working within the first 90 days and was repaired under warranty. Would have cost me $350.00 but repair that time was free. Worked well for nearly a year, then went bad again. This time I'm going to try and repair it myself. Repair guy told me almost all they see in their shop are Onkyo's, and even they have trouble getting parts for them. They recommended Denon. In fact the repair shop has stopped taking in Onkyo's because of the parts problem! They are a totally independent shop, affiliated with many companies to do warranty work and they don't SELL anything!

I concurr with the other posts re; speakers and placements. These guys are VERY helpful.
Re: Onkyo problems WARNING OFF-SITE LINK

Here are some links:

http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/service_info.php#
https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/

// Posted from Tapatalk 3.2.1 for iOS - later versions are pfft //

·
Registered
36 Posts
WOW, If it's true that ONKYO will extend warranty longer, that would save me a real headache. I'll look into it at post my results later. Thanks a bunch! You guys are GREAT!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I can't vouch for what it covers, BUT having seen it recently, it seemed worth sharing. Good luck!

This fault sounds similar to an issue my Yamaha is having. Wonder if they share the same network chip....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks Chromejob, I don't think mine is a network problem, It just wont play anything from any source, I'll follow your leads and let you know. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Thanks Chromejob, I don't think mine is a network problem, It just wont play anything from any source, I'll follow your leads and let you know. Thanks again!
sounds like an hdmi board. Mine would freeze up when using net/usb. It would start working if I unplugged it. Finally it just gave up. :-(

·
Registered
36 Posts
You're about the 5th person who told me to look at the HDMI board.... I'll let you know what happens with Onkyo.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts