1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I am not very familiar at all with passive radiators. The IXL18 is at the top of my list for my next diy sub. Am I going to be better off with the PR vs. the port? What does it do for me?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Sonnie,

Passives are a rather expensive but sometimes necessary replacement for ports. In some cases where a ported box design is simply not practical, perhaps due to port size and/or length, or even box size, a passive can be used to move the equivalent amount of air the port will. The more the active driver is capable of moving, the higher the requirement for passive cone displacement. In cases where high excursion drivers are used, it is normal practice to use two passives to achieve that same air volume as a port would. So the general rule of '2x displacement' is used.

Oh, and there is also the sex factor - having bigger cones in your sub is just plain cool looking ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Very small enclosure indeed. 3.0 cu feet with lots of speaker mass = sex appeal!

As my current IXL18 is tuned to 14 hz what would it take to equate this into a PR box? 2 of the PR's? And what mass? Are PR's a good choice for low tuning?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Thanks for the explanation... that makes sense. It sure seems like it would be much easier to install than a port.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Very small enclosure indeed. 3.0 cu feet with lots of speaker mass = sex appeal!

As my current IXL18 is tuned to 14 hz what would it take to equate this into a PR box? 2 of the PR's? And what mass? Are PR's a good choice for low tuning?
You would need two of them. If you post up your box volume I/we can calculate the mass needed for you.

Thanks for the explanation... that makes sense. It sure seems like it would be much easier to install than a port.
Yes, it is. Just more expensive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts