Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I've been a member here for quite some time, reading and lurking but not really been active.

I've just purchased my first house and since I'm moving with my wife there will be some compromises in regards to the Home Theater bit.
I got a new projector which hopefully will make me happy, I'm to pick it up later this afternoon. An epson TW-6700, I think it's known as the HC-3700 in the US?

Anyways, I got a good price on a new unit and it cannot possibly in any way be worse than my old NEC NP410 XGA which it is replacing, I'm hoping for a good upgrade.
I will also be replacing my old run-of-the-mill white manual pulldown screen with a fixed one, and I opted to go for the Black Widow paint as the projector puts out some decent lumens and the room will have ambient light and white walls. Are there better options for this setup? Any suggestions on good materials to use for the screen, MDF route or is it possible with some kind of foamed PVC like Forex? What can I do to maximize the performance of the setup? I will have a dark/grey floor and try to make the walls closest to the projector darker in color.

Any recommendations on paint for the black widow mix, I live in Sweden so most options might not be readily available? I have a few local paintshops which can mix colors with high quality paint, any special kinds of paints to avoid or to use? I've ordered 2 bottles of the createx AAA-fine, so they're on the way.

Any input would be most appreciated. :)

Best regards,
Daniel - Sweden

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, no real advice so far but I'm going ahead and getting a Foamex board (~110 inches 16:9). Also my Createx AAA Fine arrived today, checked the batch against the new/old formulation and discovered that my bottle makes no real sense (See attached image).
And of course my Epson TW6700 has a dead pixel and an image that's fuzzy to say the least, big parts of the image is even performing substantially worse than my old NEC XGA projector.
So either this is the new standard for projectors in the $1300 bracket, or something is wrong with my projector, and Epson is proving anything but useful as they're not returning a single call nor help when I call in.

*Sigh*

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi Daniel, sorry that your not getting the timely response your looking for but be patient as someone with knowledge on this topic will chime in soon. The original developer of this paint passed away a while ago so there has not been much new in the way of updates but alot of people have had success with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Daniel, sorry that your not getting the timely response your looking for but be patient as someone with knowledge on this topic will chime in soon. The original developer of this paint passed away a while ago so there has not been much new in the way of updates but alot of people have had success with it.
It is not a problem, just keeping the thread alive as things develop. I hope that they have not reformulated it again or anything as the numbers made no sense to me when looking at the old threads and their numbering system but I guess it's just a new batch numbering. I'm truly sorry to hear of his passing, I was not aware of it! It's sad indeed as I've heard a lot of good things about his work with painted screens and truly a great loss. :(

I'll pop back in when I've ordered a paint to attempt to mix with the AAA-f when the time comes, unless somebody chimes in with a good suggestions I'll go with my gut. I do have access to an Xrite i1 pro if that helps matters. My projector will be spending it's first week in england being repaired rather in my living room sadly, hope it comes back better than 'new'...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts