Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
First post, go easy on me please. Bought a new home and it has a unique layout where the main living space is, and I'm trying to determine the best audio setup possible.

Essentially, I want to do in-wall and in-ceiling speakers wherever possible. I have a lot of space next to the tv, so L/R in-wall is perfect. I can add height speakers easily too. I have a brick fireplace (electric so no real heat, and no I didn't build it that way), so I'm not sure what to do with a center channel. I suppose I'll have to mount it on the brick below the tv.

My real problem is with the rear and side channels, to the left of the space is the kitchen so there's no wall there, and behind the couch is the entryway and it opens to the dining room so I can't really have any floorstanding/listener-level speakers. I CAN have as many in-ceiling speakers as I want however, so the question is can I have both my surrounds and rears in the ceiling?

I'd love to take advantage of Atmos, but I'm not sure the upwards-firing speakers can be in-ceiling speakers instead, etc. So it'd be a... 5.1.4 system?

View attachment 175141
Well that’s a tough room!
So imo, the short version is stick to a 5/7.1. You could use phantom center, but for more than one seat that won’t be successful. So as mentioned, you’d have to find a way to mount a CC. And while your top front speaker placement looks fine, I think you’re confused on the terminology. Upfiring( Dolby Atmos enabled or DAE) speakers do not go in the ceiling but usually sit on top of your L and R speakers.
The other problem is that there will be zero benefits in placing all speakers in the ceiling. Atmos uses the height differential between the bed layer(eat level) and height layer to place some objects into the room with phantom imaging and this can’t happen when they’re all on the same plane.
Sorry if this reads as a broken message. I’m trying to multitask!
In short, I’d use a standard in room LCR, and also for surrounds if possible. If not, in ceiling would be my last choice, but seems like it might be easiest.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I think the new diagram looks good, and if you can do the IW and on wall with top speakers IC you should be good. I’m not a fan of DAE speakers so I’m glad you’re not pursuing that.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Awesome, thank you!
No worries! Glad to help. Atmos is kind of confusing even for veterans of the sport lol. The best part though, is it’s pretty forgiving in that you can waiver from the “guidelines” and still get a good experience. There are definitely things NOT to do like put all the speakers in the ceiling though. I also think Dolby hasn’t helped much by having guides and images that seem contradictory sometimes. I personally like the white papers that are available but harder to find. I think I have a couple saved if your interested.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts