Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First post, go easy on me please. Bought a new home and it has a unique layout where the main living space is, and I'm trying to determine the best audio setup possible.

Essentially, I want to do in-wall and in-ceiling speakers wherever possible. I have a lot of space next to the tv, so L/R in-wall is perfect. I can add height speakers easily too. I have a brick fireplace (electric so no real heat, and no I didn't build it that way), so I'm not sure what to do with a center channel. I suppose I'll have to mount it on the brick below the tv.

My real problem is with the rear and side channels, to the left of the space is the kitchen so there's no wall there, and behind the couch is the entryway and it opens to the dining room so I can't really have any floorstanding/listener-level speakers. I CAN have as many in-ceiling speakers as I want however, so the question is can I have both my surrounds and rears in the ceiling?

I'd love to take advantage of Atmos, but I'm not sure the upwards-firing speakers can be in-ceiling speakers instead, etc. So it'd be a... 5.1.4 system?

Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta Circle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses! Seems like you're right Wayne, it would be pretty critical to get the rears to listener level.

I was doing some reconfiguring/research in the meantime and think I have a better possible setup. It'd be a 5.1.4 atmos setup, and with a combination of in-wall, on-wall, and ceiling speakers I think I can get it pretty close to Dolby's reference guide for 5.1.4. I'm also aware of upfiring speakers but in-ceiling would be better for this setup I think since the Front L/R will both be in-wall. Also easier to get sonically matched sets, I'm looking at the new Polk Signature Elites that were released in the last few weeks. I doubt anyone has had much time to play with them yet so not too many reviews.

Rectangle Line Font Parallel Diagram

1 - 3 of 3 Posts