Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to post another thread instead of updating the old one so people could see the new specs better. As promised we got in new soft parts to make the woofers work better for HT use. Here are the parameters from the 18" we just built up a few minutes ago:

18" D2

Re: 3.5 Ohms
Fs: 17 Hz
Qes: 0.41
Qms: 5.8
Qts: 0.38
Le: 3.2 mH
Sd: 117841 mm^2
Vas: 411.9 l
BL: 19.7
Mms: 416 g
Cms: 208.8
Sensitivity (1W/1m): 88.7 dB

And specs from the 15" driver I built up this week:

15" D2

Re: 3.7 Ohms
Fs: 18.5 Hz
Qes: 0.37
Qms: 6.3
Qts: 0.35
Le: 3.5 mH
Sd: 80445 mm^2
Vas: 220 l
BL: 18.9
Mms: 309 g
Cms: 239
Sensitivity (1W/1M): 87.4 dB

Features

2.5" voice coil
20mm Xmax
43mm Xmech
Aluminum magnet ID shorting ring
Spiral cut CZA VC former with a black Nomex wrap
8" Nomex spider
Sewn-on leads
Large speaker terminals (will accept 4 AWG)
Cast aluminum basket
Proven and effective VC cooling method (air goes in below the spider, around the coil, and out the pole vent)
Paper cone finished smooth on the front side
Tall stitched-on rubber surround
Blank black dust cap (we listened to you guys during the poll we started a few months back!)
600 watts RMS power handling

Pricing

We will be able to offer the 15" at $170 and the 18" at $190. Both prices are plus shipping. We will also do discounts on multiples of four or more.

And here are a few pics from the other thread:

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Beautiful!!!!

Cant wait to play with a few. Looks like 6cuft roughly for a .7 Q for the 18 now. Nice

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,335 Posts
For 2 bills that's an insane driver! :unbelievable: :T Do you know when the new HT 15" might be ready? That's the one I'm really interested in.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For 2 bills that's an insane driver! :unbelievable: :T Do you know when the new HT 15" might be ready? That's the one I'm really interested in.
Thanks. :) The 15" is finished. I'll post the specs of the 15" tomorrow when I'm back at the office. Our Internet was being upgraded today so it was down after lunch time.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 15" woofers specs are as follows:

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,335 Posts
The 15" woofers specs are as follows:

Impressive stuff. Do you have a price range and an idea of when they might be ready?

I was thinking about using the 15" as the basis for my first attempt at DIY. Since I'm all thumbs I was looking at using a 3 ft^3 cabinet from DIY Sound Group with an O Audio 500 watt amp, lining the cabinet with UltraTouch. Looking at those parameters I'm not sure that enclosure is the correct size though. Do you think it is? What about the amp? With a sensitivity of 87 dB and a 3.7 ohm load I wonder if that's enough amp for it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Impressive stuff. Do you have a price range and an idea of when they might be ready?

I was thinking about using the 15" as the basis for my first attempt at DIY. Since I'm all thumbs I was looking at using a 3 ft^3 cabinet from DIY Sound Group with an O Audio 500 watt amp, lining the cabinet with UltraTouch. Looking at those parameters I'm not sure that enclosure is the correct size though. Do you think it is? What about the amp? With a sensitivity of 87 dB and a 3.7 ohm load I wonder if that's enough amp for it.
Price range is listed in the first post. :)

The thing you want to keep in mind is Hoffman's Iron Law - a more sensitive driver will inevitably require a larger enclosure to reach the same F3 at the same SPL. "Low"er sensitivity can be your friend now-a-days that power is cheap and you can overcome raw sensitivity with extra power. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I want to know if you will test the VC to see what it can take? LOL

I will most likely use these 15's in a box smaller than needed but will power them with a big amp. More than likely they will be just fine but I am curious.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,335 Posts
Price range is listed in the first post. :)
Gotcha. I thought that price was just the 18", since those are the only spec's in the first post.

The thing you want to keep in mind is Hoffman's Iron Law - a more sensitive driver will inevitably require a larger enclosure to reach the same F3 at the same SPL. "Low"er sensitivity can be your friend now-a-days that power is cheap and you can overcome raw sensitivity with extra power. :)
Fair enough. So, in your opinion, is a 3 ft^3 cabinet volume and 500 watts enough? I can't put a monster sub in my HT unfortunately, but I really would like to give this a shot.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
This sub looks good in 3cubes. 500watts will hit Xmax at 9hz. That is if the Xmax is still 20mm.?

Where do I need to send an email to get a shipping quote when you are ready for shipping?

Your link does not work for me vecause I think something on my end is not setup yet.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I dont want to clutter SI's thread here. If you have downloaded WinIsd I can send you my file.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I believe I have merged the previous HT thread information with this new HT thread in formation. Pricing has been put in the first post along with power handling, etc.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This sub looks good in 3cubes. 500watts will hit Xmax at 9hz. That is if the Xmax is still 20mm.?

Where do I need to send an email to get a shipping quote when you are ready for shipping?

Your link does not work for me vecause I think something on my end is not setup yet.
We are fine with it hitting Xmax at 9 Hz. :D And yes, Xmax is still 20mm. There is a lot more room for excursion past Xmax with these woofers.

When we start bringing in the woofers (hopefully shortly - we will keep you updated with an ETA) you will need to email me at the link in my signature. The email address is htsales a t stereointegrity dot com.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Wow.....I wonder what the Xmech is going to be then. These 15's are looking more awesome everyday. I want four now.:D

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
YES.........in the simulation you can see the Q being .66. I think you need a few also.:D

·
Registered
762 Posts
Haha I'm deff thinking about it. I do have to use the sundown sub I won in the giveaway a few monthes ago. Spare time is hard to come by at the moment but I promise a full build thread when I get into it.

1 - 20 of 363 Posts