Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using the cheap speakers they provided with the system and think its time to replace them. I cant spend much but i found these on amazon and didnt think the price was to bad..

for the front left and right

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OG4E20/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

for the center

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OGA81Q/ref=gno_cart_title_1

for the back im using some small jbl speakers that my dad gave to me.

I know it costs more than the receiver but i will probably be upgrading it within the next year or two and i can reuse the speakers.

thanks guys

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Certainly is not bad for the price. My main concern with tower speakers in that price range is that the cabinet design will resonate poorly with the lower frequencies and cause poor reproduction of the sound.
You would be better off with this speaker system in my opinion.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Your system is that famous HTIB 3ohm game thing. The receiver and speakers
were made to go together. I reccomend a new receiver for new speakers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Certainly is not bad for the price. My main concern with tower speakers in that price range is that the cabinet design will resonate poorly with the lower frequencies and cause poor reproduction of the sound.
You would be better off with this speaker system in my opinion.
Ill look into those. Looks like a nice set
Your system is that famous HTIB 3ohm game thing. The receiver and speakers
were made to go together. I reccomend a new receiver for new speakers.
I have used other speakers with it (im using the jbl ones now) but you guys are the experts so.. Any receivers that you recommend? I dont need anything with fancy with alot of inputs just an optical port that i can run to my tv

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Any receivers that you recommend? I dont need anything with fancy with alot of inputs just an optical port that i can run to my tv
This Onkyo 609 is perfect for your needs and you wont need to upgrade it for many years.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was actually looking at the Sony STR-​DH820, seems like a nice system and i found it on ebay for about 200$. Do you know anything about it?

and last but not least a sub woofer. Im having trouble finding one that seems good

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Sadly Sony's low end receivers are very poor quality. The Onkyo that I linked to is far far better for the same price. I also recommend staying away fro any HTIB systems most just dont live up to the hype. More info here.
The issue is that quality or at least a decent sub comes at a cost. The lowest price sub I will ever recommend is the ED A3 250 sub at $450

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So im looking at about a grand for the onkyo 609, a3s-250, and the Fluance SXHTB+ speakers after i sell my current system. Gonna have to save a little for this. Anyways thanks for your help guys. If i remember ill try and update the thread once i get everything and it setup up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive done some research and changed a few things

Anyone know anything about the Denon 2312 or 2112?

I also bought two JBL ES90BK's and a ES25CBK. Got all 3 of them for $350 on ebay.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Denon makes a decent receiver however there lower end models preform very poorly outputting 5 or 7 channels driven. The Onkyo 609 or even the 709 are far superior to the Denons listed in many ways.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ive read that Onkyo receivers get pretty hot, That's why im kinda leaning away from it. Is their any differences between the 709 and 809 that make up for the price? Since ill be keeping it for a while ive decided to spend a little more. Ive found the 809 for 600 and the 709 for 400.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The heat reports are false, particularly in the newer models. (Keep in mind that Onkyo supplies a much larger power supply and amplification section than any of the competition) so it may get a bit warmer.

the 809 offers the best video processor for upconversion available with ISF calibration for each input and has a bit more power.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The heat reports are false, particularly in the newer models. (Keep in mind that Onkyo supplies a much larger power supply and amplification section than any of the competition) so it may get a bit warmer.

the 809 offers the best video processor for upconversion available with ISF calibration for each input and has a bit more power.
Would the 809 be worth the extra money in your opinion? I dont need any added features or ports since ill just be running an optical cable from the audio out on my tv and wont be using the hdmi ports or anything. People say you can tell the difference in quality between the 809 and 709 but its quite a bit more. I just want the best sound quality for the best price.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I think for the price the 809 is a bargain and worth every penny.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.