Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I've been traveling a lot for work and haven't been able to make as much progress as I'd like. I did get one of them together last night. Progress will come but it will be slow.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looking good, StereoClarity. I mentioned earlier that line array's get mixed reviews, and since that post I have read an article on the subject at Enjoy The Music.com. Sorry ,but I have no idea how to provide a link. The article is most informative, though for the most part the author talks about planar/ribbon array's. His informed comments regarding speaker/room interfaces and psychoacoustics, as they pertain to line array's, are a "must read". Thanks again for the build progess. Hoo roo, Mike.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Looking good, StereoClarity. I mentioned earlier that line array's get mixed reviews, and since that post I have read an article on the subject at Enjoy The Music.com. Sorry ,but I have no idea how to provide a link. The article is most informative, though for the most part the author talks about planar/ribbon array's. His informed comments regarding speaker/room interfaces and psychoacoustics, as they pertain to line array's, are a "must read". Thanks again for the build progess. Hoo roo, Mike.
I'd really like to read the article. Can you just paste the URL into a response box for me? I'm finding a few reviews of line arrays by them but no articles about the design principles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
StereoClarity said:
However, I'll be using some Dayton 5/8" Neo Tweeters for that extra top end sparkle. The domes are just over half an inch and off axis response is fantastic. These are super cheap but are amazing as long as you don't need them to go low....which I don't :D
Do you have more details about the freq response and off axis response of the dayton tweeters???

JSS

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Do you have more details about the freq response and off axis response of the dayton tweeters???

JSS
I don't have any details or measurements but I've heard them in person and that lead to me wanting to use them again.

And sorry for the delays. I've been traveling quite a bit and I'm finding it hard to get enough time to put in on these. Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
There will be more progress on these this week. I'm planning on being in town this week (fingers crossed) so I'm thinking I'll be able to put some time on them.

I have put both of them together now. Next steps will be wood filler, routing the edges, sanding, sealing, sanding, priming, painting....in that order :D

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Unacceptable....

Me Gusta.

I purposefully left about 1/64" knowing that it would sink down a little when the sub got tightened down due to the gasket. I'm also planning on using some silicone on the tops of them to interface with the motor.

Other than that it's all done up with wood filler in anticipation for the belt sander that should arrive later tonight. Then progress will pick up. :D

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
New sander arrived after 8pm last night so no work got done. All the wood filler has been applied and we're ready for sanding later today!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ok, I've been holding out. The guy I got to paint these did a bad job the first time on one of them and I asked him to do it again. He did and things came out much better. So I finally got around to making the wiring harnesses for these things. Yes, wiring harnesses. Wiring 8 midbass and 16 tweeters takes a little planning.

Pictures.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Awwwww yeaaaa! Looking great!

What'd the wiring harness look like?
What did this build run you (for the drivers, xovers) $$ wise if you don't mind me asking? You can PM me if that's better.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I appologize for my absence, I've been strapped for time lately.

Crossover will be done this week. I heard them without the tweeters running and the midbass running full range and it was fairly impressive. I know that when I get the whole line going it's going to be incredible. I'm expecting efficiency to be right about 96db. We took measurements all day yesterday and the cabinet tuning is right where we want it. I was worried that two 4" ports in the rear for the midbass drivers would be too much but I think it's going to be great. I almost didn't believe Unibox when I was modeling them.

And as far as cost to build I can't really say, I'm a dealer for CSS products so I wasn't paying retail for the midbass drivers or the subs. I also have a wholesale account with Parts Express too so the tweeters and amps weren't retail either.

So since I've been neglecting my updates I suppose I'll leave this here...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.