Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to get a better subwoofer for my room. I have a Insignia 600 watt Receiver, and front and surround speakers. The fronts and others are pretty cheap, but they are actually really clear and have taken quite the abuse. I also have a Yamaha 10" YST-SW216 100 watt sub and I'm not pleased with the performance of it. It is alright, but tends to bottom-out quite a bit when listening to demanding songs. My room is 13x13.

What I am looking to do is: get a amplifier like the Pyle PT3300 for the Sub or Subs ONLY by using the RCA outputs on the back of it. It's found on ebay, but the thread won't allow me to post the link.

I was also thinking about 2 Kicker COMP C10's, or one Diaond Audio D3 10". But then I ran across a RE Audio SE 10" sub also. Which of these subs would provide the best SQ or SPL? I want the sub to be able to handle the lows in songs, like Down 4 Tha Krown by Kottonmouth Kings. I would also prefer SQ over SPL, but would like to be able to have alot of SPL if needed. I was suggested one Dayton DC300-8 12" Classic Woofer, one Dayton DC380-8 15" Classic Woofer, or two Dayton DC250-8 10" Classic Woofer off of Parts Express. Which of these should I go with, if any? I have about a price limit of about $140 for the sub only, and around $150 for the amp.

Any help on deciding on what subs to get?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I was also suggested a Dayton SA240 240 Watt amplifier off of Parts Exppress also. Is this a good amp, or is there something that has more output for cheaper or under $150?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
In all honesty I would go with a 12" Shiva ported for a room that size. There are lots of great designs on this forum, just do a search for Shiva. I am using a Mal-x in a 13x16ft room and it is over kill. :) I have used the Diamond 10's but they are really not designed for HT.

Matt

·
Registered
150 Posts
the O Audio amp is one of the best budget plate amps out there. Only 237 shipped to your door right now.

http://www.oaudio.com/500W_SUBAMP.html

Twice the power (tested and confirmed for output) much more control for subonic filter and EQ. Really worth it over the Dayton amp.

The Dayton DC300-8 and Dayton DC380-8 are not subwoofers they are woofers that will not get down to the range you want.

I am not sure about the car audio drivers you talked about but the best deal going right now is the Shiva-X with two passive radiators for $300.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/exodus-audio/17971-chicago-bears-celebration-month.html

Killer deal and only needs 3-4cu.ft. to get REALLY low frequency.

I am sure others might know some cheaper drivers that work OK but the Shiva-X (~180 by itself) is about the minimum for really getting great output.

Even if you go with a sub $100 driver I say get the O Audio amp. Just to much of an upgrade for the little extra money you spend.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the O Audio amp is one of the best budget plate amps out there. Only 237 shipped to your door right now.

Twice the power (tested and confirmed for output) much more control for subonic filter and EQ. Really worth it over the Dayton amp.

The Dayton DC300-8 and Dayton DC380-8 are not subwoofers they are woofers that will not get down to the range you want.

I am not sure about the car audio drivers you talked about but the best deal going right now is the Shiva-X with two passive radiators for $300.

Killer deal and only needs 3-4cu.ft. to get REALLY low frequency.

I am sure others might know some cheaper drivers that work OK but the Shiva-X (~180 by itself) is about the minimum for really getting great output.

Even if you go with a sub $100 driver I say get the O Audio amp. Just to much of an upgrade for the little extra money you spend.
Ok, thanks. The sub and amp are too expensive though. Maybe I could just get the Dayton amp now, after I get the sub, and just ask for the O Audio one for Christmas :bigsmile:.
I thought the same about the Dayton woofers also.
I was told that the Pyle rack style amp isn't worth buying. A lot of troubles or something. Are there any rack style amps like the Pyle PT3300 that would be worth buying? The reason I ask is because they can put out the same amount of watts, or more for cheaper. But they don't have the same controls that the O Audio ones have, which is a downside.
Is there a sub like the Shiva-x ($182) for a little cheaper that won't sacrifice too much sound quality?
Or, is there two lesser quality, cheaper subs that can perform similar to the Shiva-x for cheaper also?

Thanks for the help. It's greatly appreciated. Just tryin to save money cause I'm fifteen, and don't have a job yet.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
For a rack mount type amp the Behringer A500 is about as cheep as you can go for the price/quality ($199). Pyle uses low quality components and they do not last.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
There is the GR Research sub woofer which is only 100 dollars but it is not in the same league as the Shiva. I have used the GR and it sounds good. I really recommend saving and spending the extra money on the Shiva. You get almost double the xmax out of the Shiva. Not to mention the lower LE and better power handling.

Matt

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is the GR Research sub woofer which is only 100 dollars but it is not in the same league as the Shiva. I have used the GR and it sounds good. I really recommend saving and spending the extra money on the Shiva. You get almost double the xmax out of the Shiva. Not to mention the lower LE and better power handling.

Matt
Noob quesetion...lol what is LE. I know what it is, but can't remember. haha

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
You do realize that those have a 7mm xmax! :R To give you an idea of how much air a woofer will move you can get the xmax spec multiply it by 2 and multiply that by the sd. This is will tell you how much air a woofer will displace. Then can also download WinISD for free and model each woofer. This will give you an idea how how well it will perform.

Matt

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sub has a Xmax of 7 mm, you can do better then that. If you have a budget of $290, we'll find something that will work for you. You mention listening to music, would the sub be for home theater also?
Yes, it would be only for Home Theater. But, if you can, I would like to keep as cheap as possible without sacrificing too much quality.

You do realize that those have a 7mm xmax! :R To give you an idea of how much air a woofer will move you can get the xmax spec multiply it by 2 and multiply that by the sd. This is will tell you how much air a woofer will displace. Then can also download WinISD for free and model each woofer. This will give you an idea how how well it will perform.

Matt
And, sadly, yes I do know that :yes:. Can I put in numbers to see how subs I don't model would perform?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Take a look at the Dayton 12" Reference HF with the SA240 amp. Model it in a 3.5 ft box tuned to 22 Hz. It will meet all of your stated goals.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Take a look at the Dayton 12" Reference HF with the SA240 amp. Model it in a 3.5 ft box tuned to 22 Hz. It will meet all of your stated goals.
Ok. How much better would the performance be with the O Audio 500 watt amp? I think that was how much it was...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Adding another 250W would increase headroom and/or max SPL about 3dB. I'm not sure that is necessary. There may be some advantage from other amp features I donno.

The extra power will exceed Xmax around 30Hz. You will need a High pass filter around 19Hz, but both amps have that feature. In other words, I doubt the 500W amp would add anything this system.

I think this package is awfully nice for sound quality, good response, smallish box and is not lacking in SPL. Ya get the whole deal for the price of the 500W amp.

If ya want it to play a lot louder or lower, Ya need one of the more expensive drivers AND the larger amp AND a bigger box. This is all good - just depends on what you want. I think ya have some excellent recommendations above if ya want to go there.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Adding another 250W would increase headroom and/or max SPL about 3dB. I'm not sure that is necessary. There may be some advantage from other amp features I donno.

The extra power will exceed Xmax around 30Hz. You will need a High pass filter around 19Hz, but both amps have that feature. In other words, I doubt the 500W amp would add anything this system.

I think this package is awfully nice for sound quality, good response, smallish box and is not lacking in SPL. Ya get the whole deal for the price of the 500W amp.

If ya want it to play a lot louder or lower, Ya need one of the more expensive drivers AND the larger amp AND a bigger box. This is all good - just depends on what you want. I think ya have some excellent recommendations above if ya want to go there.
Ya, I do have some pretty good suggestions, i guess. Just want to make sure I want this stuff.
For 2 extra dollars, would this sub be any better than the Dayton 12" Reference HF series? But does Exodus make it in a 12 inch instead?

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=24_93_150&products_id=684&Cid=bb06105f01661ad66160d1f2ccbf1853

Thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts