Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a while since my last post... Sounds like I'm in an AA meeting... Anyways heres the deal - I have a 9cu ft box bolted to my concrete floor and built into a wall area under my stairs, it is ported with 10" tube and tuned to about 18hz. The box was housing a RE XXX 18 which had issues and has again died. :yikes: (blow horn from the tug boat on Ben-Button, really unexpected) :yikes:

I havent looked at subs for a couple of years - whats my best swap out? Price is important, low end is priority.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can always take up space in the box until you find the money to go with something larger. A 15" or 18" would be better to start with though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can always take up space in the box until you find the money to go with something larger. A 15" or 18" would be better to start with though.
Chad- Did you have somthing in mind?

What would be my next step up possibly in the $350-$400 range.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
square peg round hole...

Just realized the box is closer to 20cubes... I need to measure the thing and not go from memory.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
funny physically it looks almost exactly like the XXX 18. Numbers look better.

RE XXX-
FS 29hz
Re 1.9 DVC
Qms 5.09
Qes .64
Qts .59
Sd cm2 1210
Vas 244.2
Xmax 32mm/one way
BL 17.1
1W/1M 91.8
RMS 1600
Max 2500

Maelstrom-X
Re: 1.9 Ohm
Le: 2.0mH
Fs: 17.4Hz
Qms: 3.62
Qes: 0.42
Qts: 0.37
Mms: 525g
Cms: 0.16
mm/N
0.16mm/N
Sd: 1182
cm^2 1182
Vas: 313L
BL: 11.45
X-Max: 30% down point on BL Curve 33mm 33mm 33mm
Pmax: (Read our notes on power
handling)
1500W
SPL: 87.8 dB 1W/1M

Hmmm... I may have to pull off the sofa pillows and find some more money.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I was wondering how you killed the driver? Over excursion, or smoked the coils, or did it just quit?

Originally I thought you meant the current XXX and I almost can't imagine anyone killing one of those short of purposely trying to do it, but I see that it was the older XBL^2 version, which even still is a very, very beefy driver. BTW I think you can get those reconed by Fi for a fair price. The head guy at Fi was the designer of that driver.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The sub has had a hard life. It was originally used in a auto system sealed, purchased the unit from RE and was shipped an 18 vs the 15 I had ordered. Had it in the car for about three months and snapped the tinsles. Fixed the tinsels and decided it was just too massive for a car, short of a walled box. Had it sitting around as a really big paper weight for a couple of years and decided that I had too much space under my staircase that brings me down to my HT. Constructed a 20 cu ft ported box, glued and bolted it to the concrete floor via PT 2X4's. Been happy with it for the past year or so, music, movies, ect... until that blow horn.

I need to take the unit out of the box to make sure whats going on, however, I'm pretty sure its the tinsels again. I'll take a look tonight and give you an exact cause.

Incase anyone is interested the scene that seems to have caused this was in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", he works on a tug boat and a blow horn gets used. :unbelievable: I'm guessing there must have been some sub-sonic sound in there, the FS on the XXX isn't the lowest out there @29hz. It was somthing I had on hand so the loss isn't as bad.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
That's funny because I watched that movie awhile back and when that part came up it was crazy. I had the volume jacked up because it's a slow quiet movie. I was hoping somebody would analyze the LFE on that one but no one has yet. I'm guessing very high level 25-30hz with some undertones in the 15hz range.

Either way. You might want to check with Fi about reconing that driver. They may be able to send you a kit to do it for a lot less than you might think. You could either sell it as I think they still fetch a decent price from the autosound crowd, or reuse it.

Mike's suggestion is solid. You could also spend a bit more and jump up to the Mal-X.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts