Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Bummer.

What design changes were you thinking of making?
I've been kicking around different ideas such as ported vs passive radiator, 15" vs 18" vs dual 12", plate amp vs external amp, budgets ranging from $500 to $1500, etc.

I'm not really locked in to any one design yet. It will primarily come down to what size box I can convince my wife won't ruin our den and how much money I'm willing to spend at the time of the build.

Steve

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Steve (dboff01),
I like the design. I am envious of your SketchUp skills (I'm still watching the tutorials). I am also planning to build a couple of ported Tempest X2 subs (PR's just add too much expense now that I'm on a fixed income) and your design would be ideal if I could swap the depth and height (ie ~24" deep and ~28" high vs your 28X24 respectively). It would be nice (and convenient) if one could "squeeze" the 28 down to 24 and "pull" the 24 into 28. Do you know if this is possible?
Thanks,
Steve also (SteveMA)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Steve (dboff01),
I like the design. I am envious of your SketchUp skills (I'm still watching the tutorials). I am also planning to build a couple of ported Tempest X2 subs (PR's just add too much expense now that I'm on a fixed income) and your design would be ideal if I could swap the depth and height (ie ~24" deep and ~28" high vs your 28X24 respectively). It would be nice (and convenient) if one could "squeeze" the 28 down to 24 and "pull" the 24 into 28. Do you know if this is possible?
Thanks,
Steve also (SteveMA)
I believe that would increase the total volume slightly, which is a good thing.

I'll try to redraw the box to your specs, re-sim in WinISD, and post within a couple of days (Anniversary dinner tonight, going to Jets game tomorrow).

Steve

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the quick response. BTW, I am most interested in the external amp version. I would think any volume change would be minimal since the "floor" of the port would be shorter by ~4" and the vertical portion of the port would increase by the same amount. At any rate, it should be a fun project. I have been playing around with WinISD pro recently so it will be fun to compare notes.

Hope you enjoy the Jets game tomorrow. Here in the Twin Cities even if I had tickets to the Vikings game I doubt if I would be able to get there if the snow keeps up.
Thanks again,
Steve

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Steve,
I played around a bit more with SketchUP and was able to get something close. My drawing lacks the braces under and behind the port framework (I was happy to get a far as I did and, quite honestly, I forgot to add them). I've attached the .skp file but from my calculations for net volume (internal volume less port volume, less taken internal cabinet material, less volume displaced by driver) of 5.0 cu.ft.

I used 0.75" thicknesses for the drawing but, if I were to build the cabinet (as I intend to when I'm happy with it) I would probably go to 1.0" and/or more bracing.

Let me know what you think.

Steve(MA)

Attachments

21 - 25 of 25 Posts