Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm currently in the planning stages of a theater and would appreciate any input that you might have in regards to the following design.

The max width I have is around 10' and the max length I can see using would be 14'. Ceiling height is about 7' 2.5".

The particular layout attached is what I've come up with as it's in an area with no drops in the ceiling and also no interference from the beam which runs down the middle of the basement. I'd like to try and maintain a 3' wide hallway as the area in the back right corner is a planned play area for my children. A play area is the main thing that is needed, and then a space for a theater is second.

Please let me know if I can provide additional information, or if you have a different design that would fulfill both wants (play area, theater).

Thank you for your time!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
That doesn't look bad at all. Where are you planning the door?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That doesn't look bad at all. Where are you planning the door?
I believe I'm going to place the door on the side right before the column. The equipment closet may go in that area as well. I'm open to anything though.

Should I use an AT screen with speakers behind or should I place the screen against the wall?

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
It would be best to keep the early reflection zone clear so after the post would be better. Maybe you can build a 'closet' in the left rear corner for the equipment? That makes for shorter video runs to the PJ and the only thing that is long is speaker wires (higher level signal) other than the subwoofer.

Up to you on the screen. The room isn't all that long though and it would start to feel cramped IMO losing another 2'.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be best to keep the early reflection zone clear so after the post would be better. Maybe you can build a 'closet' in the left rear corner for the equipment? That makes for shorter video runs to the PJ and the only thing that is long is speaker wires (higher level signal) other than the subwoofer.

Up to you on the screen. The room isn't all that long though and it would start to feel cramped IMO losing another 2'.

Would there be any advantage to keeping both corners in the rear of the room angled? I made the left corner this way to match the rear right end for uniformity purposes

Also, I'm not sure if I want to go 16:9 or 2:35. I feel my center channel wouldn't be able to be placed as high if the screen were to be put against the wall with a 16:9 screen. Angled properly this may not be an issue.

I currently have Polk Rti8's and a Polk CSi5 for the my front speakers.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
If you square out the corners...you can put bass traps in them. :T

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Very true. If you want to angle both rears that's fine. I would want to trap the front ones though. Using an AT screen does let you go wider and keep the mains away from the side walls a bit more.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Very true. If you want to angle both rears that's fine. I would want to trap the front ones though. Using an AT screen does let you go wider and keep the mains away from the side walls a bit more.
Plus if you went wall to wall AT screen you could hide the traps (and matt the screen down to whatever size you like, and if you want to change the screen format size...you just change the matting panels), and depending on your speakers you may not loose too much space behind the screen. If you are only going with one row... I think a AT screen might work nicely, plus it is great having the sound from behind the screen IMO. :T

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for the advice so far.

Yes, my front speakers are no deeper than 16". 18" depth behind screen wall ok? Not sure the amount of treatment on front wall would be needed.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Thanks so much for the advice so far.

Yes, my front speakers are no deeper than 16". 18" depth behind screen wall ok? Not sure the amount of treatment on front wall would be needed.
My speakers are almost touching the screen... Are your speakers happy being close to the wall? We put 2" of Roxul on our front wall, and it worked out nicely.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My speakers are almost touching the screen... Are your speakers happy being close to the wall? We put 2" of Roxul on our front wall, and it worked out nicely.
I've always had then real close to the wall so I'm saying it won't be an issue.

How big of a door is "normal" for a theater? 24" is way to small, but I don't think a 36" makes sense.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
I've always had then real close to the wall so I'm saying it won't be an issue.

How big of a door is "normal" for a theater? 24" is way to small, but I don't think a 36" makes sense.
We went with 36" wide doors in our HT. Don't forget you will need to allow for moving furniture in the room too.

·
Registered
431 Posts
For a door, 28"-30" will feel like a pretty normal opening. 24" will definitely feel small, and 36" will feel overly commercial. Almost any piece of furniture you can buy can be squeezed through a 30" door, but 28" might be pushing your luck.

Also - for purposes of getting furniture into the space I would consider putting the door on the back wall instead of the side, but that could very easily create traffic flow issues as it may place the door inconveniently close to the seating at the MLP. The point from Bryan about early reflections is good, but don't forget that you can add material to the door for the purpose of damping that reflection.

Layout questions are always interesting... we are often tempted to ignore all aspects of design other than those which optimize our listening/viewing experience. But when it comes to size and placement of a door, your best bet is to think of the function of the door above all else. There's nothing sillier than having to live with the regret of putting a door in the wrong place, especially when you have complete control over it.

Think about subwoofer placement as well. You'll definitely regret putting that door somewhere that makes you walk directly into a cabinet (or a couch, or an equipment rack, or the edge of the screen, or that post on the outside).

tl/dr - 30" is good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For a door, 28"-30" will feel like a pretty normal opening. 24" will definitely feel small, and 36" will feel overly commercial. Almost any piece of furniture you can buy can be squeezed through a 30" door, but 28" might be pushing your luck.

Also - for purposes of getting furniture into the space I would consider putting the door on the back wall instead of the side, but that could very easily create traffic flow issues as it may place the door inconveniently close to the seating at the MLP. The point from Bryan about early reflections is good, but don't forget that you can add material to the door for the purpose of damping that reflection.

Layout questions are always interesting... we are often tempted to ignore all aspects of design other than those which optimize our listening/viewing experience. But when it comes to size and placement of a door, your best bet is to think of the function of the door above all else. There's nothing sillier than having to live with the regret of putting a door in the wrong place, especially when you have complete control over it.

Think about subwoofer placement as well. You'll definitely regret putting that door somewhere that makes you walk directly into a cabinet (or a couch, or an equipment rack, or the edge of the screen, or that post on the outside).

tl/dr - 30" is good.
I appreciate your thoughts.

I'm leaning towards a 30" door as well. I would be fine with placing the door in the rear, however my concern is that might affect my options for rear speaker placement since I would most likely have an equipment type closet and a door on that wall? Ceiling height will be at about 7' when all is said and done.

For lighting do you think 4 6" can lights on one switch, and then some 3" can lights for accent lighting on a different switch be enough? I'm pretty sure 4 6" can lights would be more than enough. If I did a shallow soffit around the room I could place the 3" lights inside.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I would advise against angling he back walls. Angle the room across from the current door & put bass traps in those corners. move the door to in from of the corner (allow enough room for the trap).

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Have you thought about instead of an equipment closet... having a pair of low cabinets across the rear wall with the door in the center to maintain symmetry? Another option if you go with an AT screen would to build a stage under the screen, and put your equipment there,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would advise against angling he back walls. Angle the room across from the current door & put bass traps in those corners. move the door to in from of the corner (allow enough room for the trap).
Hi Tonto,

I understand when you suggest not angling the rear walls, but I'm not following you on the second part? A crude sketch might help me visualize what you mean.

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you thought about instead of an equipment closet... having a pair of low cabinets across the rear wall with the door in the center to maintain symmetry? Another option if you go with an AT screen would to build a stage under the screen, and put your equipment there,
That had actually crossed my mind and I'm certainly not opposed to it. I'd definitely want doors, or dark glass that would prevent the various lights from showing in the front on the equipment if I went that route.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Hi Tonto,

I understand when you suggest not angling the rear walls, but I'm not following you on the second part? A crude sketch might help me visualize what you mean.

Thanks!
I believe what he is saying is...to move the door out of the corners, and then put bass traps in the corners.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.