Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm starting with nothing but a Yamaha M-80 amp for my sub(s) and I will most likely buy a 720p
projector for now because I have so many things to get.I really like Paradigm speakers but dont have a local dealer for a listening session.Right now I would appreciate somr advice on wiring and materials
for the room itself.It is just a 2x4 frame right now 16' x 20' with 8' ceiling.THANKS

Attachments

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
That will be a killer HT room!!! :yes:

My suggestions:
1) Use at least 14gauge (12 will be better for all the speakers).
2) If you can install a conduit to hold all cables, you'll have a cleaner look.
3) Get all your cables/wires from www.monoprice.com (they're one of the cheapest places)
4) Add insulation to all wall to avoid resonance.
5) Use double drywall if possible, it will help with isolation.
6) The most important ...keep us posted (specially pictures) :bigsmile:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That will be a killer HT room!!! :yes:

My suggestions:
1) Use at least 14gauge (12 will be better for all the speakers).
2) If you can install a conduit to hold all cables, you'll have a cleaner look.
3) Get all your cables/wires from www.monoprice.com (they're one of the cheapest places)
4) Add insulation to all wall to avoid resonance.
5) Use double drywall if possible, it will help with isolation.
6) The most important ...keep us posted (specially pictures) :bigsmile:
Thanks for the info and the link,I can use all the help I can get.I'll post pics for sure!:hsd:

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Yes, keep this thread up to date with the latest pictures, and feel free to work out questions as they come up by posting in this thread, and we'll help you out. The only thing I'd like more than helping you build your room would be to build my own...someday...

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
It does look like it will be a really great room and I'll be following your build with interest..:T

One thing,.when you run your power cables, keep them well away from your speaker cables, otherwise you may pickup hum in the speakers..

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
And run lots of Cat5e/6, and all other cables, while you have the walls open. Wire is cheap compared to tearing open finished walls.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice Room indeed!

In my opinion, one of the most important elements in an HT is Sound Isolation. Stopping sound from coming in, and going out of the space. If you want to be able to crank it up then you have to think about the walls and ceiling. No one like to be told to "Turn down".

Good luck!

John

·
Banned
137 Posts
Electrical wire high in the wall.
Audio cabling low in the wall.
Avoid parallel electrical/audio within 24 inches or so of each other.
Just some things I have seen here recently that created problems for the owner.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are a few update pics.Don't have the new sound equipment yet but hopefully soon.:spend:
I followed advise from this thread.Insulated,double drywall,cables away from power,2 cat 5's hdmi and component cables to projector.Waiting on brick for front of theater.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks guys,yes the brick is definitely for the outside.As for the acoustic treatment I'm looking for suggestions.I already have the false wall behind the screen,i'm hoping to house the sub and most of the equipment in that space.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I don't get it!!.:scratch:
You say you have a false front wall to hide your speakers and sub, and yet in the photo the front wall that the screen is on looks to be solid...and you're presently showing your speakers in front of that wall..
Is it that you're planning to add a screen wall!?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I misunderstood what a false wall was.That is a sheetrock wall with a 3 foot access behind it wich will eventually hold a recess for the electronics and the enclosure for the sub.Hope that clears it up a little.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Well, that's more like an actual wall, being sheet rock, studs and all, but you'll be using it like most folks use a false wall, though many prefer to have their speakers behind it as well so that the only thing protruding beyond the wall is the screen (if that).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts