Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have been researching these for awhile and I have a few questions/problems.

Supplies:

Will a car audio sub work? There are plenty for sale and i was looking at a 12" Pioneer TS-W301R (4 ohm, good sensitivity, low nominal RMS) any other suggestions? Shipping to Edmonton CAnada can be expensive.

I am planning to use one output on my Rotel 1075 to power it (maybe two)
it can handle 4 ohm loads and is rated at 125 Watts at 8 ohm and ~200 at 4 ohm. |I may also use the stereo outputs from an old JVC amp.

I have a 17" Id by 4 foot tall Sonotube that was donated.

My two main problems are:

I have inputed th Pioneer specs into WinISD and i keep getting an error about somthing is not divisible by 0 ( I will be playing with it more tonight)

I am also playing with Sonosub.exe and having trouble with the port function.
I was thinking of using two 4 inch ports and trying to tune to at least 20 hz, everytime I change a value it gets goofy results

Any Ideas/ Suggestions?

P.S. I have posted this in AVS as well sorry for the duplication

·
Registered
361 Posts
Do your modeling in winisd with just standard ported enclosure. Winisd doesn't like you putting in "off values" so you should try putting in the basics. Re,fs, qms, and qts (I think) and I believe cms. Let it autocalculate the rest. Throw in the xmax also and you should get a good idea of what to do.

Have you looked at mach 5 audio? They are in Canada I believe and have decent products at not bad prices.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
704 Posts
FYI, there is no real difference between a "car audio" sub and a "home audio" sub. Car audio speakers tend to be optimized for higher power handling in smaller enclosures because that's what the market wants. But you can use any subwoofer you like in any alignment you like as long as you accept the output. If you use the listed T/S parameters to model it you can predict on average how it will work in your desired enclosure. Go for it!

·
Registered
61 Posts
As noted above Mach 5 is based out of Winnipeg and their prices include shipping for the most part. They seem to be very popular in the DIY circles. Also look at CSS ( creative sound solutions) based out of BC. They have some really nice subs and some of the odds and ends you may want to complete your product. CSS also has their own section in the DIY speaker forums here at the SHack if you haven't checked them out already.:T Both of these are Canadian companies so you can support local business and don't forget that the Bash plate amps are designed and built in Canada if you decide you want to go witha plate amp.:hsd:

·
Registered
704 Posts
+1 for CSS. Their "Subduction" series is excellent.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't see why not. 200 watts isn't alot though unless you have a very small space. You may want to look at a Bash 300 or 500 watt plate to go with the sub. They also have an adjustable built in crossover.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok now i am lost, which sub is the better of the three? I have locked in all of the variables to be the same (port size 6" length 30 " and box size 4.66cuft)

Also Sonosub is giving me different Hz tuning with the different subs, the pioneer actually tunes the lowest.

Have a look at the pdf

Please someone help!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The variables can't all be the same, each sub models differently due to the subs parameters and the application the sub is being used for. You're close on the TRIO12, and the Mack 5 should be 2.5 cu.ft tuned to 20 hz. It is also power hungry compared to the TRIO12.

Here's the modeling of the two. With 200 watts and the Mack 5 IXL-12 you can get away with one 4" port 31" long. The TRIO 12 needs a 6" diameter port 38" long.

Post the parameters for the TS-W301R, I can't find them. Thanks.

Text Electronics Technology Line Font

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey mike thanks for the help!!

the pioneer

mms = 110.8 cms= 3.1x10E-4 fs= 28 RMS= 2.293 QMS= 8.12 Xmax= 8.8 BL= 8.67 Re= 3.0 no SD listed but the diamter is listed at 9.86 inches

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike could you email those two project files so that I can have a look at how you are modeling them and I can quit bugging people for help

knobert hotmail com

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys,

What are acceptable port speeds below 20 hz for a CSS trio12 5cuft box with 6" port 33 inches long

I can get the speed sown to 14m/s at 20 hz, but then it increases right after that to 16m/s at 18 hz.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am still only going to use my 200 watts for power right now, so it s not awesome. I will upgrade later on. Whgat doyou think is an acceptable limit for air speed?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok here is my project details

16 3/4" "ID sonotube 3' 11" tall tube - total hieght endcap to endcap = 48 inches
tuned to 20hz
CSS TRio12 sub (AWESOME)
6 inch sonotube flared (outside) port 34" long
still debating lining the inside or not

I am not going with a base plate in my design just legs
Power will be supplied by my Rotel for now, and the sub will be corner loaded

I am not sure how to post Sonosub on my thread thats what I have now

1 - 20 of 26 Posts