Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm glad to say, I have finally found a place on the web thats not trying to sell me anything and I'm able to learn through others what works and does not work in my attempt to build my home theater. Thanks! :jiggy:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How I got into home theater was with a little help from my wife, who got annoyed when I played our Nakamichi system below our office at night. So off to the basement to create a new and better system, further from those cute little ears of hers. Alas I've purchased almost all for theater except for the proper theater itself. This is where my journey begins

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm glad I found you guys too. This kind of forum is extremely useful to all who enjoy the arts and media in their home, a treasure trove of information for the taking.
Thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Hello Dennis, Welcome to the Shack.
Don't know if this was meant for the right Dennis but here goes anyway. I found you guys recently and find that the technical info is great and to the point. My start is what we called Hi-FI goes back to tube stereos and large...LARGE speaker systems--- [anyone remember the Karlson? A superb design...but to big for my humble TV room.

Anyway I'm am "collecting" the various pieces of a Home Theater System. Yamaha RXv661 receiver, Yamaha towers , Sharp Aquos LCD [37"], OPPO 981 DVD player and a Home theater PC [Tivo like replacement]. Rears and a center channel yet to come. Where is a good place to review wiring choices and to find answers to dumb questions like...what happens if I only use 5.1 on a 7.1 Amp. Does it harm the receiver? DIY center channel cabinetry is of interest too. This is A great place to ask questions....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't know if this was meant for the right Dennis but here goes anyway. I found you guys recently and find that the technical info is great and to the point. My start is what we called Hi-FI goes back to tube stereos and large...LARGE speaker systems--- [anyone remember the Karlson? A superb design...but to big for my humble TV room.

Anyway I'm am "collecting" the various pieces of a Home Theater System. Yamaha RXv661 receiver, Yamaha towers , Sharp Aquos LCD [37"], OPPO 981 DVD player and a Home theater PC [Tivo like replacement]. Rears and a center channel yet to come. Where is a good place to review wiring choices and to find answers to dumb questions like...what happens if I only use 5.1 on a 7.1 Amp. Does it harm the receiver? DIY center channel cabinetry is of interest too. This is A great place to ask questions....
Hi Dutch,
I'm new to the shack also, so I will defer to those with more knowledge on your question of unused channels on a 7.1 system. I've found so far that if you have a question and you look hard enough at the various threads and forums you will get the answer, if no one answers directly.

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts

Hi denschultze and welcome to the Shack. Yeah, I think that "welcome Dennis" was meant for another Dennis, but you guys seem to be sharing this thread OK. Looks like you have a good start on your system. As to your other questions -- there is a section here at the Shack for cables and such, so perhaps you could ask any wiring questions over there or perhaps in the "General Discussion" area. There should be a wealth of knowledge on cabling questions. If you only use 5 channels of a 7 channel amp, you will be fine; no damage should occur. Lot of people do it, for example, when they are listening to stereo only and leaving the rear and center speakers off. Current receivers are for the most part very robust to failures and will go into a "protect" mode before a real problem occurs (they can still fail, of course, but are generally not susceptible to the type of failures of old-school electronics). We have nice DIY section for speakers as well as subs, so have a look around over there.

Again, welcome.

·
Registered
51 Posts
nitrox1 (Dennis)-
Welcome to the Shack. This is a great site and you'll find there will be plenty of help and good suggestions should you ever need it. Welcome aboard.

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts