Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I live in New York City in an apartment. I recently purchased a 52" Samsung (LN52B630). I do not feel its complete without a home theater. I am completely lost on what to do. I know nothing about this stuff. My apartment is not huge. Its comfortable ;) I was looking to get a 5.1 system. I didn't want to do a 2.1 and i was told that a 7.1 really inst necessary especially because my space is limited. I fell in love with Yamaha, Onkyo and Sansung HTIB Systems but im afraid :huh: . My husband and i are gamers and we also have two children who play games as well. I want to use the system for movies, music and games. I really don't plan on using it if im just watching TV. Below are the ones i am currently looking at but still unsure, scared and confused.

Samsung HT-BD3252T

Yamaha YHT-591

Onkyo HT-SR750

If anyone can steer me in the right direction i would gladly appreciate it! Thanks!! :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Welcome to the Shack,
Do you have a budget that can be made a bit larger if needed? Also what sized room are you using this in?
Have a look at this post here as it will help you understand a few key things that are important to building a good system.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
HTIB's are certainly convenient. However, what is truly lacking is speaker quality compared to purchasing a AV Receiver and a speaker package.

If your budget is fairly tight and high playback levels are not that important, any one of these packages will do nicely. I do like that the Yamaha decodes the newest surround codecs from Blu Ray Players True-HD and DTS-MA.

Hopefully there is a store which carries all three in your area. Getting a chance to listen to them will help in making the best informed decision.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the Shack,
Do you have a budget that can be made a bit larger if needed? Also what sized room are you using this in?
Have a look at this post here as it will help you understand a few key things that are important to building a good system.

Yes my budget can go larger but being that my apartment is limited in space i wasn't sure if i needed to spend so much but again...i don't know what im doing to begin with!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
its always better to go a bit over budget as this guarantees that you get something that will last.
What is your preferred budget?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't want to spend more than $1200. I also read the other post. Here are my confusions...if i were to go with any of the ones i have in mind (as previously mentioned)...the AV receiver what exactly is that used for, radio reception? I'm sorry if i sound lost but its because i am! and...are any of the ones i mentioned any good? I would need to buy a DVD player or Blue ray right? and if so...which one?

(AHHHH, I'm such an amateur!)

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
A speaker package like this:http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-sbs01.cfm would provide a much higher level of sonic fidelity. Look at the 5.0 package on that page. Most HTIB's use speakers that are pretty lacking in realism and rely on a subpar "subwoofer" to provide most of the sound. Often the subwoofers in HTIB packages are not able to reproduce the lowest octave and mostly give much boom around 80 Hz.

If you went with the SVS package, all you would need is a subwoofer and a receiver. Given you are in a apartment, a huge subwoofer is not a priority so you can find a quality smaller one for well under 400 Dollars.

There are a number of receivers available for under 400 Dollars as well that will trounce the HTIB receiver as well.

So, all in all, for around 1200 Dollars you could have a truly high quality system that will give you years of service. I am not sure how important music is to you, but the difference in quality between the SVS package and a HTIB is vast. And this difference can really be appreciated in music.

If you get a chance, look at the speakers in a HTIB. One the whole, they weigh nothing and are these plastic towers of mediocrity. Compared to a dedicated speaker, the difference is vast.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Funny. While you were writing that you did not want to spend more than 1200 Dollars, I was proposing a system for under 1200 Dollars. Go figure.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The Onkyo is a good choice but for 1200 your almost into getting some good speakers and a receiver.
Onkyo has several things going for it one being that they make there HTIB systems fully upgradeable and use standard connections. They also have alot of options compared to the competition.
Jack is one the road to where i was going with this he and I think alike and wont steer you wrong The SVS package is a very good start.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Ladycruz, an AV Receiver does indeed have an AM/FM Tuner. But, it is primarily the heart of a system.
The newer ones offer HDMI Switching, amplification, decoding of all codecs (Dolby Digital, DTS, True-HD, DTS-MA, etc) In America, we primarily use them as Integrated Amplifiers and few use the FM/AM portion of the receiver. In Europe, where there are many more Radio choices, many purchase Radio Tuners and Integrated Amplifiers. Integrated Amplifiers incorporate a power amplifier and preamplifier. A preamplifier is what provides volume control, inputs to hook up TV, Xbox, PS3, etc...

Integrated Amplifiers and receivers handle all of this with the difference between the two being the radio tuner in a receiver. Again, here almost everyone uses receivers.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I think this Onkyo 607 receiver for $400 paired with the above speakers would do you really well.
A subwoofer like this SVS sub would work really well and keep you just a few $$ over budget.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello,
A speaker package like this:http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-sbs01.cfm would provide a much higher level of sonic fidelity. Look at the 5.0 package on that page. Most HTIB's use speakers that are pretty lacking in realism and rely on a subpar "subwoofer" to provide most of the sound. Often the subwoofers in HTIB packages are not able to reproduce the lowest octave and mostly give much boom around 80 Hz.

If you went with the SVS package, all you would need is a subwoofer and a receiver. Given you are in a apartment, a huge subwoofer is not a priority so you can find a quality smaller one for well under 400 Dollars.

There are a number of receivers available for under 400 Dollars as well that will trounce the HTIB receiver as well.

So, all in all, for around 1200 Dollars you could have a truly high quality system that will give you years of service. I am not sure how important music is to you, but the difference in quality between the SVS package and a HTIB is vast. And this difference can really be appreciated in music.

If you get a chance, look at the speakers in a HTIB. One the whole, they weigh nothing and are these plastic towers of mediocrity. Compared to a dedicated speaker, the difference is vast.
Cheers,
JJ

Okay so, i checked out the website. I think i can do something with this! Now, What would you guys recommend for a receiver and subwoofer? and whats the receiver for? :ponder:

Also, i don't want nor do i need a huge subwoofer but i would like a decent one. I do want to listen to my music and play my xbox and enjoy it!! I LOVE music so sound and quality is very important to me.

then comes the wiring, do i have to buy that separate and if so...what do i buy? and of course what do i do as far as watching movies? Obviously i have to buy a separate DVD or blue ray player but what type and does it have to be blue ray?

am i driving you nuts yet? So sorry!

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
As always. Tony, you and I are on the same page.
JJ

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
You can watch DVD's through your Xbox 360. Adding a Blu Ray Player would be nice and some are available for 100 Dollars now.
And you would need to purchase cables. Depending on how new and the model of your 360, it might have an HDMI out. In which case, you would need a HDMI cable. If you have an older 360, you would need an optical digital cable for the 360, HDMI for the cable/sat box, and another HDMI from the receiver to the TV. In addition, you will need speaker cable, and a RCA cable to connect the subwoofer to your receiver.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Jack linked to a great receiver for just a few $$ more than the 607 you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello,
You can watch DVD's through your Xbox 360. Adding a Blu Ray Player would be nice and some are available for 100 Dollars now.
And you would need to purchase cables. Depending on how new and the model of your 360, it might have an HDMI out. In which case, you would need a HDMI cable. If you have an older 360, you would need an optical digital cable for the 360, HDMI for the cable/sat box, and another HDMI from the receiver to the TV. In addition, you will need speaker cable, and a RCA cable to connect the subwoofer to your receiver.
Cheers,
JJ
Dont know why but i don't like playing movies through my xbox and since i play lots of bootleg movies...i need a good DVD player that wont have a problem recognizing them. The one i have now is cheap, its a Phillips but i don't want it. I want to upgrade everything.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Makes sense to me. And given the abyssmal reliability of the Xbox 360, I would say it is a good thing to not play DVD's on it. Now that Blu Ray Players have plummeted in price, well worth getting one instead as they can play DVD's as well.

Here is a great link for cheap quality cables as well:http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/index.htm
Cheers,
JJ

1 - 20 of 59 Posts