Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

New to Home Theater Stuff. Pls help!

6K views 58 replies 6 participants last post by  Jungle Jack 
Welcome to the Shack,
Do you have a budget that can be made a bit larger if needed? Also what sized room are you using this in?
Have a look at this post here as it will help you understand a few key things that are important to building a good system.

its always better to go a bit over budget as this guarantees that you get something that will last.
What is your preferred budget?

The Onkyo is a good choice but for 1200 your almost into getting some good speakers and a receiver.
Onkyo has several things going for it one being that they make there HTIB systems fully upgradeable and use standard connections. They also have alot of options compared to the competition.
Jack is one the road to where i was going with this he and I think alike and wont steer you wrong The SVS package is a very good start.

I think this Onkyo 607 receiver for $400 paired with the above speakers would do you really well.
A subwoofer like this SVS sub would work really well and keep you just a few $$ over budget.

Jack linked to a great receiver for just a few $$ more than the 607 you cant go wrong.

The SVS speakers are very high quality The reason you dont see them in a store is because you would then have to pay more for them as internet direct companies dont pay sales staff, rent many large store fronts and have low overhead and they pass the savings on to you.
I have a sub from them, The best that they make and can assure you that they make a top quality product.

At a price comparable to upper range HTIB's. This really is a system comparable to 2-3 thousand dollar systems.
Cheers,
JJ
Agreed, but I dont think there are HTIB systems that expensive nor near the quality of what you will get with our recommendations.:T
Glad we could be of help.

It actually impressed me that a few of the Onkyo HTIB systems used wood cabinets (although thin) none the less wood and sounded fairly good for the price. But the above package is a great starter system.
I actually think we should start a thread with suggestions of a good system like we did here and sticky it as it seems we always have people looking for this sort of thing.
What do you think?

Ok, lets do it:T
You can start if you wish.

I will be going over what i wanted to spend but i think its well worth it and im sure my husband is going to be not only proud but amazed at what im going to put together! I cant wait to see his reaction. :clap:
Is this a Christmas present? I wold love to see his reaction.

Great points H :T

Well, SVS is tough to beat for the price but other options are Klipsh, Polk audio, PSB and JBL just to name a few.

I am asumming you have contacted SVS directly and they told you that they are on back-order? You should inform them of you frustration of having to wait so long as i do find it a bit strange that it would take them two months to catch up on orders. There customer service is second to none and I am sure they will do something for you.

for a small speaker Orb is ok however they are still small and I dont care what specifications they have you simply cant produce the lower frequencies between 120-300Hz with a speaker that size. They are in the same boat as the Bose lifestyle speaker system is, not worth the money in my opinion.

SVS has the plate amps and some other components made here in Canada. Customs can be a huge pain and is very unpredictable to say the least. The so called "free trade agreement" is just a waist of time and just make things way more costly and frustrating.

There subs are fairly even as far as performance. I personally like SVS but thats maybe a bit bias as I have the best sub they make. Its a choice you will need to make but rest assured either of them will satisfy your needs.

Very good as well. However I do think SVS has a bit better design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.