Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I really appreciate all your time and help. You guys have been really helpful!! I will definitely be looking into everything you guys have suggested and will let you know how it goes. :T

Hello,
Good luck. At least listen to some of the HTIB's you are interested in before purchasing. I can completely understand getting one box which includes everything you need is mighty tempting, but the price paid for that convenience is mediocrity.
JJ

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Hello,
Good luck. At least listen to some of the HTIB's you are interested in before purchasing. I can completely understand getting one box which includes everything you need is mighty tempting, but the price paid for that convenience is mediocrity.
JJ
After all this information, im not sure if i want to even bother with a HTIB. The SVS speakers? Are they loud and clear? Have you used them? They wont blow out on me right? and will the ones you linked me to be suffice?

The SVS speakers are very high quality The reason you dont see them in a store is because you would then have to pay more for them as internet direct companies dont pay sales staff, rent many large store fronts and have low overhead and they pass the savings on to you.
I have a sub from them, The best that they make and can assure you that they make a top quality product.

Hello,
I have listened to SVS Speakers and they offer amazing value. They use very high quality speaker components (tweeter, woofers, cabinets) and have been reviewed extensively by many Professional Reviewers and have received excellent reviews.

I do not currently use SVS Speakers, I am running Martin Logans currently. In truth, they are fairly expensive. My speaker system retails for around 15 thousand Dollars.
Cheers,
JJ

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Hello,
I have listened to SVS Speakers and they offer amazing value. They use very high quality speaker components (tweeter, woofers, cabinets) and have been reviewed extensively by many Professional Reviewers and have received excellent reviews.

I do not currently use SVS Speakers, I am running Martin Logans currently. In truth, they are fairly expensive. My speaker system retails for around 15 thousand Dollars.
Cheers,
JJ
One last thing...if i got with this package, http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm, is that the same one you listed except it includes the subwoofer? or does the one you suggested come with more speakers?

Hello,
Your link is the correct one. The 5.1 Package will be excellent for you and miles better than the speakers bundled in a HTIB. I was looking for the page you provided when I posted that link.

The Onkyo I linked originally retailed for 900 Dollars and really is a great buy for 400 Dollars.
Blue Jeans Cable sells quality cable on the cheap and will save you hundreds over going with something like Monster Cable.

Altogether, this would really be an excellent package that will provide your family with years of quality performance. At a price comparable to upper range HTIB's. This really is a system comparable to 2-3 thousand dollar systems.
Cheers,
JJ

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Hello,
Your link is the correct one. The 5.1 Package will be excellent for you and miles better than the speakers bundled in a HTIB. I was looking for the page you provided when I posted that link.

The Onkyo I linked originally retailed for 900 Dollars and really is a great buy for 400 Dollars.
Blue Jeans Cable sells quality cable on the cheap and will save you hundreds over going with something like Monster Cable.

Altogether, this would really be an excellent package that will provide your family with years of quality performance. At a price comparable to upper range HTIB's. This really is a system comparable to 2-3 thousand dollar systems.
Cheers,
JJ
You guys are the best!! Once again, Thank You very much!

At a price comparable to upper range HTIB's. This really is a system comparable to 2-3 thousand dollar systems.
Cheers,
JJ
Agreed, but I dont think there are HTIB systems that expensive nor near the quality of what you will get with our recommendations.:T
Glad we could be of help.

Hello,
Tony, you are probably right about HTIB prices, before I started moderating here, I never really looked into HTIB's. Certainly have seen them setup though. Something about injected plastic molded floorstanding loudspeakers makes me ill.
JJ

It actually impressed me that a few of the Onkyo HTIB systems used wood cabinets (although thin) none the less wood and sounded fairly good for the price. But the above package is a great starter system.
I actually think we should start a thread with suggestions of a good system like we did here and sticky it as it seems we always have people looking for this sort of thing.
What do you think?

Hello,
I have been thinking about that exact same thing. Not kidding. It is a great idea.
Cheers,
JJ

Ok, lets do it:T
You can start if you wish.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
It actually impressed me that a few of the Onkyo HTIB systems used wood cabinets (although thin) none the less wood and sounded fairly good for the price. But the above package is a great starter system.
I actually think we should start a thread with suggestions of a good system like we did here and sticky it as it seems we always have people looking for this sort of thing.
What do you think?
I think that's a great idea!! I came here knowing absolutely nothing about speakers, HTIB, Receivers, ETC...and now after your suggestions and explanations of things...i feel like i know what im actually looking for and one thing is for sure...i am completely convinced that its better and worth putting together your own system rather than buying one out the box!! You guys rock!!

Everyone has different things that they want and need but im pretty sure you guys can come up with suggestions for every necessity. I will be going over what i wanted to spend but i think its well worth it and im sure my husband is going to be not only proud but amazed at what im going to put together! I cant wait to see his reaction. :clap:

I will be going over what i wanted to spend but i think its well worth it and im sure my husband is going to be not only proud but amazed at what im going to put together! I cant wait to see his reaction. :clap:
Is this a Christmas present? I wold love to see his reaction.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Is this a Christmas present? I wold love to see his reaction.
Actually it started when he purchased the Samsung TV and i said...we need a HTIB and i insisted that i wanted to be in charge of that part and i assured him that i knew what i was doing (yea right), LOL and although deep down inside he feels that he can handle it better that i can...after you guys...im going to blow his socks off! I promise to keep you guys updated and i will also take a picture and post it. I should be done by the end of this month. Wait till he sees what a girl can do! (well with the help of you guys).

Hello,

Thanks to the great folks here I was able to recently purchase a system that I'm happy with for about $1200 as well.

I know that it was mentioned that ladycruz should get cables, but I didn't see a complete listing of what she and her family might need. Some were mentioned previously, but I'll try to make a short list of things that I needed - as an example. Personal note, I purchased my cables through Monoprice.com because I've had good experience using them.

In my experience I'm using my receiver as a central hub of sorts (video as well as audio going through the receiver and receiver outputting video/audio to the TV).

1) 2 HDMI cables - One from the PS3 to the receiver, one from the receiver to the TV

2) 2 Optical (toslink) cables - One from my older model Xbox 360 to the receiver, one from my old PS2 - which doubles as a DVD player

3) 10 pairs of banana plugs - 1 pair for each speaker and another pair going to the corresponding place in receiver. Here's instructions that I found. The plugs are definitely optional, I hear it makes things easier. http://www.monoprice.com/manual/INSTALLING SOLDER TYPE BANANA PLUGS.pdf

4) 1 roll of 14 gauge speaker wire - it was suggested to get wires that are between 12-14 gauge. The lower gauge (thicker wire) the better quality sound you'll get as well as the ability to run the rear speakers longer distances. You may need only 50ft pending on the room size and where you want your speakers.

5) 1 coaxial (coax) audio/video rca cable - "for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer & Composite Video", this one goes from my subwoofer to my receiver.

I hope nothing was left out in your order that you need. It would be like giving a child a battery operated toy without batteries.

I did notice that the SVS set did not come with speaker stands. Be sure to get some of those if you need them.

It looks like a great system!
H

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Hello,

Thanks to the great folks here I was able to recently purchase a system that I'm happy with for about $1200 as well.

I know that it was mentioned that ladycruz should get cables, but I didn't see a complete listing of what she and her family might need. Some were mentioned previously, but I'll try to make a short list of things that I needed - as an example. Personal note, I purchased my cables through Monoprice.com because I've had good experience using them.

In my experience I'm using my receiver as a central hub of sorts (video as well as audio going through the receiver and receiver outputting video/audio to the TV).

1) 2 HDMI cables - One from the PS3 to the receiver, one from the receiver to the TV

2) 2 Optical (toslink) cables - One from my older model Xbox 360 to the receiver, one from my old PS2 - which doubles as a DVD player

3) 10 pairs of banana plugs - 1 pair for each speaker and another pair going to the corresponding place in receiver. Here's instructions that I found. The plugs are definitely optional, I hear it makes things easier. http://www.monoprice.com/manual/INSTALLING SOLDER TYPE BANANA PLUGS.pdf

4) 1 roll of 14 gauge speaker wire - it was suggested to get wires that are between 12-14 gauge. The lower gauge (thicker wire) the better quality sound you'll get as well as the ability to run the rear speakers longer distances. You may need only 50ft pending on the room size and where you want your speakers.

5) 1 coaxial (coax) audio/video rca cable - "for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer & Composite Video", this one goes from my subwoofer to my receiver.

I hope nothing was left out in your order that you need. It would be like giving a child a battery operated toy without batteries.

I did notice that the SVS set did not come with speaker stands. Be sure to get some of those if you need them.

It looks like a great system!
H
Sounds good. Thanks!! I was going to ask the guys at Radio Shack but it looks like you covered me.

Hi,

You're very welcome. I'm glad I can assist in some way. Hopefully, you can still get the cables ordered and delivered by Christmas time. If you buy it in store, be prepared to pay a bit more. Actually, A LOT more if it's Monster brand (that's why no one here recommends Monster).

Congrats on the new system,
H

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.