Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a mini project studio in my house which I work out of. I know my room isn't perfect but know it well and am able to get mixes that translate well enough for me.

However I'm always up for learning something new so have decided to have a go at the scary world of Room Measurement to see if there is any room for improvement while accepting that it will never be as good as a purpose built commercial space.

Attached below is my first results using the software - To be honest it looks ok to me until about 3k at which point things start to look a little scary! Any help understanding what's going on would be most appreciated!

Mic used - ECM8000

Monitors - Adam A7X (Is this the problem they are pretty bright. But I'm used to it!)

Room has a decent amount of treatment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
That first plot is the mic cal file rather than the measurement. Set the SPL axis to cover 45 dB to 105 dB (use the "Limits" button at the top right of the graph). If you think that looks scary wait 'til you see the actual measurement :D

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Well that's progress, but your graph scalings need some tweaking - a 320 dB range makes things look rather flatter than they are. Suggested settings are in this thread, the Limits button is the easiest way to set them.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
I see you've used 8 sweeps in your measurement, there really isn't any need to do that, a single 256k sweep gives perfectly good results and saves a lot of time :)

Nice low distortion from the Adams - hopefully some of that carries over into the Artist 3's I have on my desk.

Room seems very damped, must be quite a lot of surface treatment in there. The peak at 160 Hz could benefit from being reduced - if you have any scope to move the listening position you can look for alternatives pretty quickly by playing the Pink PN test signal and looking at the response on the RTA with these settings while you move the mic to alternative positions:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I tried moving around the listening position a little, as well as trying the speakers closer and further away from the walls and couldn't perceptibly change the boost at 150hz.

A quick google search seems to suggest that 150hz is roughly the resonant frequency of the ports on the A7x. Do you think this would be causing the problem? If so I'm assuming nothing like tuned bass traps would make any difference?

I honestly feel so ignorant of all this stuff - I am used to how the room sounds and can get stuff to translate but am a little worried that I'm missing something!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts