Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm nearing completion on a new house build, and it's time to start thinking about putting together the theater. It's not a separate dedicated room, but rather part of a larger gameroom/bar/theater area. The theater section is 19' x 12' and is open on the right and back sides. It's not completely light controlled, but the larger room is in a walkout basement that faces east, so during normal evening tv hours it will be relatively dark. The theater section is also painted a dark brown with dark carpeting and furniture. I'm planning on using a Panasonic PT ae4000 as my projector, ceiling mounted 14' from the front wall (seating position will be about 15' from front). There's a Piedmont Plastics branch close by, so I'm planning on using Sintra (white) for a 110" screen. So I guess my questions are:

1) What paint would work best for my set up?
2) Is my planned screen size OK?
3) Can I get anywhere close to spray results by rolling?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-C

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Here's the problem. Using your setup (AE4000, 110" screen, and 14' mounting location) you only have 13fL at the screen. That's right near the low end of where you want to be. Normally, I would recommend a gray screen in your situation. But factoring in something like BW™ drops your fL to 11. You can do that, I have in the past. But it isn't something I'd normally recommend.

Here's what I would recommend though. Hang the Sintra and see how it performs. It's a very good screen on it's own by the numbers. If you determine that you'd really like a boost in the black levels/contrast, we'll talk about BW™ or C&S™ at that time. :T

If you were to throw the 14', the 110" screen size, the ambient light conditions, etc. at me before purchasing the AE4000, I would have recommended a brighter projector. :huh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the info mechman, I really appreciate it. At this point nothing but the mount point for the projector is set in stone (and even that could be changed a bit at least). I could go smaller on the screen, and the projector has not been ordered yet (if only because I hate having toys in my possession that I can't use!), so lets say everything is subject to improvement. Given what you know about the room, what projector and screen size would you recommend (I'd like to keep the projector under $3k if possible). Thanks again!

-C

* Just got back from the house, and I measured the theater room ceiling from the front wall to the mounting box where the HDMI and ethernet are run to. The front edge of the box is almost exactly 13' from the front wall. So if I mount the PJ just in front of the box then I should be at about 12' lens to screen.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Leave everything the same except for the projector. Get a Mitsubishi HC6800 and your fL jumps up to a very respectable 16fL with a BW™ paint job on the Sintra. :T

A Viewsonic Pro8200 gets you 21fL.

An Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8700UB gets you 24fL.

An Epson Home Cinema 8350 gets you 15fL.

These are all listed in PJ Central's top ten 1080P projector list. And I believe all of them but the Viewsonic are LCD so you could select a DLP if need be. I think the new Sony VPL-VWPro1 would work as well if you wanted a SXRD.

So pick one of those projectors and then paint the sintra with Black Widow™. :T

·
Registered
89 Posts
An Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8700UB gets you 24fL.

An Epson Home Cinema 8350 gets you 15fL.
Mech, are you sure about these numbers? I thought the 8350 was the "entry" PJ that was designed more for ambient light and the 8700 was more for dedicated movies?....

Did the 8700 test higher than the 8350?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Mech, are you sure about these numbers? I thought the 8350 was the "entry" PJ that was designed more for ambient light and the 8700 was more for dedicated movies?....

Did the 8700 test higher than the 8350?
I'm using PJ Central's Calc with his numbers punched in for a .9 gain BW™ screen? :dontknow: They came out that way again a minute ago.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
in "best" mode, the JVC is brighter than the Panny and the Epsons.
Is this with the Epson's in THX mode? Or maybe Theater Black 1 mode? Or is it dynamic mode? :scratch:

When discussing projector brightness there are a few things that you can use to judge brightness. The first thing that I do is to see what Projector Central says. This is usually sufficient. But if further investigating needs to be done I'll see if Art has measured the particular models. A final thing to do would be to check the actual lamp type and it's brightness.

JVC makes fine projectors. And the tool we have available (PJCentral's Calculator Pro) to compare brightness states that the JVC is not as bright as the Epson. Nor is it bright enough to reach the standard luminance in this particular individual's theater environment/specifications. :huh:

·
Registered
119 Posts
According to projectorreviews.com here are the numbers I found:

Epson 8350 (best mode is cinema) = 463 lumens

Epson 8700ub (best mode is THX) = 503 lumens

Panny ae4000 (best mode is color 1) = 430 lumens

JVC hd250/RS10 (best mode is cinema 1) = 710 lumens

To get a nice and accurate picture, the JVC is brightest.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
According to projectorreviews.com here are the numbers I found:

Epson 8350 (best mode is cinema) = 463 lumens

Epson 8700ub (best mode is THX) = 503 lumens

Panny ae4000 (best mode is color 1) = 430 lumens

JVC hd250/RS10 (best mode is cinema 1) = 710 lumens

To get a nice and accurate picture, the JVC is brightest.

I stand corrected. Thank you Rod for doing my homework for me! :T And reading the review of the JVC, I think you could really bump the number up to 740.

DLA-RS10 Projector - Uncalibrated:

Cinema 1 ("best" mode) : 710 lumens
Note, after our calibration, brightness actually increased slightly to 740 lumens.
Also, it should be noted that the JVC drops to 481 lumens when using the lamp in normal (low) mode.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Also, it should be noted that the JVC drops to 481 lumens when using the lamp in normal (low) mode.
Ah, there is the fair comparison.:whistling:

If you use the reviews from PC accounting for Eco mode for all PJs, you get:

8350 = 434 lumens

8700 = 420 lumens

4000 = 374 lumens

RS10 = 450 lumens (this is approximate base on PC % drops that they accounted for on Eco and Zoom)

Not much of a difference if you really look at it. Throw out the AE4000 and I don't think you would visibly see it between the three.:T

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Ah, there is the fair comparison.:whistling:

If you use the reviews from PC accounting for Eco mode for all PJs, you get:

8350 = 434 lumens 12.06 fL

8700 = 420 lumens 11.67 fL

4000 = 374 lumens 10.39 fL

RS10 = 450 lumens 12.5 fL (this is approximate base on PC % drops that they accounted for on Eco and Zoom)

Not much of a difference if you really look at it. Throw out the AE4000 and I don't think you would visibly see it between the three.:T
I've added foot lambert values (in red) based on a 110" diagonal 16:9 screen to Highside's lumen numbers. In the real world you couldn't tell the difference between all but the Panny 4000, and even that would have to be in literal side-by-side testing. The human eye just isn't that sensitive to luminance variences less than about 33% (1/3 of an f-stop on a camera).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts