Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm 25 and just purchased my first home. Nothing crazy just a nice 3bedroom/2bath and I'm trying to set it up with some special things I prefer. On the back of the home is a room that was previously used for art and I would like to look into making it my "theatre/entertainment/big screen room" or whatever you would like to call it. Presently I am not very educated on how to properly design or setup what I'm looking to do. I need to get current measurements on the room but this is what I will be working with.
*Do not have total light control, the room has large bay windows but I do have blinds and will get black out curtains if need be. At night the room is completely dark though due to lack of ambient city lights
*Will be sitting 11 feet 6" from the wall where the screen needs to be. I would like 100 inch or larger if possible. Just do not know what is normal for that length.
*Looking to watch movies/stream netflix/Playstation 3.
*ceiling height is 8Ft, walls will be painted dark red/burgandy. Floor is tile but will have a very large throw rug put down. Would even like to install big velvet theatre like drapes on the wall the screen will be located on....just to give it that cinema feel. Ceiling is currently white but if I need to paint it that is fine.
*Would like the screen to be permanently mounted on the wall.
*Since this is not a real "theatre" in million dollar home Im not looking to go top of the line....just reliable products that will perform and give me an enjoyable theatre experience.

Please feel free to help or give any ideas to help me set this up. Thanks guys
James:T

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hello James, Welcome aboard!
Most projectors will function in rooms that are not completely dark however to get the best contrast/ black level a dark room is ideal.

11' back from the screen is good for about a 96" size going larger can cause eye strain.
Keep in mind that you do not want to sit right against the rear wall of the room so you want to have about 3' of space behind you.

Enjoy your stay with us at the Shack.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Hello and Welcome to HTS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome ......you are lucky to have a clean slate room to work with.Putting carpet down is a good idea for sound and you'll also want to cover those windows up for the same reason.Your starting out the right way by signing up here and get all the info. .It'll save time and money .Post some pic's throughout the process,I'd like to see them.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome to the Shack. Have fun. Dennis

1 - 16 of 16 Posts