Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank John M, Brucek, and Wayne along with the rest of the contributors for the great amount of info at the Shack:T:yay2:... I just purchased an external USB soundcard, specifically, Creative Sound Blaster X-fi(model SB1090) a radio shack SLM 33-4050 Analog, along with of course REW 4.11, build 1086... the equipment i'm trying to optimize, a AV123 MFW-15, along with some Polk M40's bookshelfs which are hooked up to an Onkyo 705... My room dimensions are 11x12x8... However, upon trying to calibrate my soundcard, i dont seem to get a flat response, I seem to get from 20Hz-20kHz flatness; +8.1, -0.2dB would that seem right? I would like to post my graph but since I'm a newbie:rofl2::joke: thanks all, look forward to hearing what you all think!

Regards,

Nelson

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Normally you would post a soundcard cal file with a small vertical axis, so we can view it better, since a soundcard cal file is normally within a db over its flat range.

But in your case it's easy to see there's a problem. No, it's not good.

Note the vertical axis in this example below.

soundcard calibration graph example.jpg

Looks like you may have 'monitoring' enabled in your soundcard. Check that.

Best to load jpgs onto our site and use img tags, so we can view them.

brucek

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's exactly what I was suspecting, could you point me in the right direction, I'm not to sure were to check...I'm running windows xp, sp3, I checked under control panel>sounds and audio device properties>which tabs would monitoring be under? Also, I'm not running Creative's program that's bundled with the soundcard cd, I just only installed the audio drivers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright, Brucek Almighty, thanks for your help, I was able to get to look as you described... What do you all think?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts