Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am stationed in Germany, and I am updating all of my home theater.....going whole house A/V. I wanted to build either a single 12" or 15" sub, either ported or sealed to produce the most true to form flat eq. I have a good knowledge with woodworking, and box calculators. What I cannot find, however, is a true answer as to if the port volumes in most calcs are included in the box volume, or separate. I am building every speaker by hand: centers, fronts, rears, sides, presence, and 4 zoned rooms. Anyone have a definitive answer for me?:huh:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
First off Thank you for your services and may God Bless you, also Welcome to the Shack! Best place to get quick responses is in the DIY thread..wishing you the best

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Hello and welcome ....:wave:

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Again, thank you for your service to our county. You will need to allow for port volume when calculating internal volume. If you think about it, the port/tube in inside the box & as such, if you place your hand inside the port, it is technically outise the box.

It's like your GI track, any thing you swallow is technically outside your body.

Wrap your head around that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for your service to our country. I am an retired from Active Duty Colonel and I can assist you if you PM me off line, (retired in 2006). I have the full version of LinearX LEAP-5 (Enclosure & Crossover) as well as many other loudspeaker modeling CAD programs. I will need to know what transducers (loudspeaker drivers) you plan on using to model them for you. Let me know if I can help.

Best regards,

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts