Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack!

Howdy there filtor1 and welcome to the Shack!

I am sure you will find all you need, but if we can help, just holler... :T

Sonnie

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! I have been looking for a forum that was full of people passionate about audio, and that didn't mind helping w/o belittling peoples ideas. From everything I have read, it appears I have found it here. :)

I look forward to learning from your collective expertise.

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome Chris. Have fun. Dennis

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack, Chris. We hope that you will become part of the HTS community and enjoy both contributing to help others and find value in what others have posted.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see I did in fact make an intro thread after all. :)

I currently live in Gainesville. I grew up in Ft Lauderdale, moved to Gainesville in middle school and completed HS here. Moved to Tampa and got married. Moved back to Gainesville about 8 years ago.

I lost touch for a little while but am back in semi full swing. I will say I have learned a lot by reading what others have posted.

I am working on gathering parts for my new subwoofer build. It is posted on another forum but only because I know people over there. I can post here as well though.

Chris

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TY for the warm welcome everyone. :) I will be back after my son goes to bed and show you the little project I am planning for the Spring.

Chris

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
4-18" Fi Q HT's S2

Enclosure: I plan on 4 individual slot ported enclosures under the tv. The enclosures will be 20"(W)x 28"(H)x 25"(D) with a countersunk double baffle. Internal cf before port and driver displacement is 6.45cf. I am still deciding on the tune. I am a little stuck there and need to decide between 17Hz and 20 Hz. I am leaning toward the 20 Hz tune as I listen to a lot of music in comparison to movies. The length of the port tuned to 20Hz is 2x 9"(W)x 3"(H)x 52.2"(L) ~.5cf. The driver displacement is .24cf. Net after port and driver displacement would be 5.71cf. I am not sure if I am going to use dowels or scrap MDF for bracing so I will refrain from trying to estimate the volume they will use. This is as large (W) as I can go and still have room for my mains, which are yet another project in my book. I can increase the height to 30" and increase the gross internal cf to 6.63cf but I don't think there will be any discernible increase in output and would cause the tops of the enclosures to block too much of the windows. I was given clearance to do so, however I don't want to push my luck. smile.gif

Power: As soon as my project funds are replenished I plan on buying the iNuke6000DSP. I chose this option due to the built in DSP and power output. I will be ordering and replacing the stock fans at that time.

AVR: Yamaha RX-V2400. I have considered upgrading this unit, but the budget just isn't there this year. Until then, this will be the AVR.

Sources: PS3 for movies (both DVD and BR) and games. My laptop to stream Pandora and my mp3 collection. and finally the Direct TV HD receiver.

Edit: I keep going back and forth on the enclosure size and tune. One day I want to do 17Hz and the next 20. I will likely go as low as I can without giving up too much space. Looking at increasing the height now to accommodate the 70"+ port length and 17Hz tune. My time is at a premium right now. What I manage to get done is in intermittent chucks of time.

Thanks for looking.

Chris

1 - 20 of 21 Posts