Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I recently replaced an old RCA home theatre in a box with a new Yamaha RX-V385BL receiver.

I didn't know anything about the difference between passive and active subwoofers, but have since learned the receiver has only an RCA pre-out connection. My old RTD150 subwoofer is a passive sub.

What I've gathered is that I need to either buy a powered sub (which would cost nearly 2/3 of what I spent on the reciever) or get an amp.

After a couple hours of searching online, I can't make heads or tails of what kind of amp I would need, so I can't even begin to judge whether that would be the cheaper way to go.

Would it be cheaper to look into returning the receiver and buying one that can handle a passive sub?

Can anyone offer some advice? If it helps, it's a fairly small room and my audio tastes are not at all discerning. I'd just like decent bass when listening to movies.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Would it be cheaper to look into returning the receiver and buying one that can handle a passive sub?
No. All decent receivers have RCA outputs for subs. The only ones that do not are receivers that are part of a "Home Theater in a Box" system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts