Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little 8" sub just gave out. I'd like to put a musical sub together that can handle serious HT demands. My Theater is 11x19 with a complex ceiling that averages ~9 ft.

In the research I have done, it has become apparent that I don't want to design my own sub, I just want to put something together that won't give out when the next Bond movie comes out, and sounds really nice. My system is calibrated with Audyssey, and my mains can go pretty low (Quad 22l2). I like bass to be balanced with the rest of my system.

Can anyone give me some ideas of where to start with a room my size? I'm looking for quality over quantity. My woodworking skills are good. I've built North Creek speakers (from a kit) in the past.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
~5-600? I've got my eye on a-gon, but I imagine I can do better with that money if I just build something myself.
If I had the cash I would probably just buy an SVS PB13-Ultra.

I would prefer a box design over a tube.

Shiva-x + 500W O-Audio Plate Amp + cabinet of x dimensions?

·
Registered
150 Posts
~5-600? I've got my eye on a-gon, but I imagine I can do better with that money if I just build something myself.
If I had the cash I would probably just buy an SVS PB13-Ultra.

I would prefer a box design over a tube.

Shiva-x + 500W O-Audio Plate Amp + cabinet of x dimensions?
I am going to sound like a broken record but

O Audio 238 shipped

Shiva with 2 passive radiators - 300 plus shipping

3-4 cu. ft. box ~$30-??? depending on you

HUGE bass for under $600.

Or the Shiva in a bigger ported box would knock 100 bucks off and be even better for output, but at the cost of being twice the size. (and lacking the passive radiator eye candy)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. A broken record is just what I needed.

In an evening of sifting through terms that are entirely new to me, I came to a similar conclusion. At the moment I am weighing PRs or a big cabinet that I can use as a stand for my center channel.

I imagine I'll be back when I get to working out actual dimensions. Can anyone point me to a SW cabinet building guide? I'm reading a lot about tuning, but I don't really have any ideas what the factors are when it comes to getting down to it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The passive radiator would be about half the size Mike P. suggested but you would get less output and it would cost more.

You could run a lower high pass filter on it though since the cone excursion is not as high.

Overall I would say if you can afford the space needed by the bigger box, go ported. It is cheaper and a little higher output. If you need the smaller enclosure, go PR.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
You could run a lower high pass filter on it though since the cone excursion is not as high.
With the O-Audio amp you are limited to the 20 hz and 25 hz HPF in a ported application. (20 hz for this setup). The 16 hz HPF also has 6 db of boost, the sub would exceed Xmax with very little power. The 12 hz HPF has 8 db of boost. Both the 16 and 12 hz setting are for sealed designs with a sub that has the Xmax to handle the boost at the lower frequencies.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
12" with 500w will be adequate for 13' x 19' with a wacky vaulted ceiling that goes up to 10'?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts