Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a laptop running windows seven, REW already downloaded, Behringer u-control uca-202 which I may not need, and a Extech 407736 SPL meter. First will my SPL meter work?? I have the Behringer ecm8000 ordered, but what other gear and wires do I need? I want to calibrate my dual subs, I currently have a Integra 80.2 with Audyessy multieq xt32 but would like to dial them in better. Sorry if there is already a link for this information I just could not find it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Did you order ECM8000 with calibration? Microphone will need microphone preamp/soundcard with phantom power.

SPL meter with calibration is useful, but typically they don't have good low frequency response, or good response above 3-4kHz.

REW will allow you to assess performance of Audyssey.

Regards,

Andrew

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you talking about the Cross-Spectrum?? Microphone will need microphone preamp/soundcard with phantom power. What is this?? My SPL will not work? I know nothing about REW, please break it down.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Phantom power is required for condensor mics such as the one you ordered. If you use just an SPL meter than you don't need Phantom power. I use the ART Dual Pre(It is a soundcard that also has an XLR hookup for a mic and has phantom power). I found one for about $55 shipped.
The advantage of the mic over the spl meter is that you can measure full range. If you use a mic the spl meter is still useful for getting the levels correct.

SPL connections: connect SPL meter to soundcard. connect soundcard to computer's USB. Connect soundcard's line out to receiver.
Mic connections: XLR cable from mic to soundcard, USB from soundcard to computer. Headphone out (in case of ART Dual Pre) to receiver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So all I need is the Behringer 8000 and the art dual pre and the cables and a laptop of course, right?

·
Registered
174 Posts
That sounds correct. If you pick out the cables, I/we can help make sure you get the right ones. I learned a little from trial and error. Don't give up if it seems difficult at first. It's really fun when you start getting results from the tweaking!

·
Registered
174 Posts
What kind of subs do you have? Do they have a built in equalizer? Or are you just concerned with volume, crossover levels and phase? (things you can adjust with the receiver)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have dual Epik Empires. No eq so would I use a 1124? Do you think I could use it with my receiver and dial them in better?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What I am trying to help or correct is my bass is very strong high in the room towards the ceiling, sitting down it is there but much stronger at ceiling level. Does this make sense??

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is it possible to move your subs to different locations? Once you get REW set up, you can take measurements with the subs in a variety of locations and compare the results. You'll want some kind of mic stand so that the mic doesn't move at all in between measurements.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts