Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started looking into a DIY subwoofer a couple of weeks ago. I have done a lot of reading and am now looking for some advice. My home theater is small (12'x13'x8') and I have Def Tech BP 2002tl mains with a C/L/R2500 for center. This gives me two 12" 250w low end drivers which are nice but what I really want to do is suplement the 60hz and below with a lot more kick. I would like to tune for 18-20 and get 110 - 115db if possible. Seems doable in my small room, even without the corner loading, from what I've read.

I'm limited in height because I need to put this in the center of the screen wall and need to ensure the new sub and CLR together stay under my screen bottom of 35". So the box really can't be taller than 25" including legs (if any). I guess the max width could be 4 or 5 feet and the depth could be up to 3ft if I needed.

I like the idea of a folded horn because of the low power requirements for big SPLs but I'm not sure whether the space restrictions make that a non-starter. I've got decent carpentry skills but I'm certainly not a cabinet maker.

My new receiver (Yamaha RX-A3000) has a decent manual parametric Eq with 4 filters on each sub output (selectable freqs from 31.3, 39.4, 49.6, 62.5, 78.7) and Q from .5 to 10, Gain from -20 to +6. I'm thinking that that can get me by for smoothing the response without having to buy additional Eq.

As far as budget I'd like to keep it under $500 including amp but I could go higher if I needed to.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the THT, actually the low profile version because I was hoping to not have it stick out 3 feet into the room if I could help it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts