Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, Im new around these parts and just purchased my first home earlier this year. The first project to tackle is the basement. I dubbed it the Ronald Mcdonald House for the abundance of red and gold. Anyway, I have been reading through this board for some time now and decided on a 5.1 setup. Last week I began pulling the trigger on some components which should all be in by the first week of January. I have very limited experience with most things home theater, but what I have learned so far has led me to believe my choices will leave me with a quality system that doesnt break the bank. Here's a list of what I went with:

TV - Vizio D650i 65" LED
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2000
Front Towers - Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-FS52
Center - Pioneer SP-C22
Surrounds - Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
Sub - Dayton SUB-1200
Bluray - Panasonic DMP-BD91
Surge Protection - Panamax MR4000

I am very pleased to be right on track with my original budget of ~$2000 for all things electronic. I still havent found any wall/ceiling mounts for the surround speakers so maybe someone can chime in on those.

The first pic is the original speaker layout (not ideal). The rest are before and afters. Will get the second coat tomorrow and hopefully be finished with paint by Wednesday. Still waiting on wall plates, tv mount, and speaker wire. I think it's an incredible improvement over the dark, dungeon feel. I'll be updating this thread with more pics and info as I go!

Let me know your thoughts! Also, I relocated that left surround speaker to the right of the pillar, adjacent to the right surround location. I dont plan to use the rears at this time.

So, without further adieu, I give you the Ronald McDonald Project...

Attachments

·
Registered
922 Posts
You may want to consider some base traps or carpet.... and some acoutstic panels. with that hard wood and smooth walls being down in a basement your going to have an echo chamber.... probably end up cancelling out some freq's.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Looking good Brad. Ronald won't be stopping by any time soon! Good advice about the floor and treatments. All in due time though.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Looking good Brad. Ronald won't be stopping by any time soon! Good advice about the floor and treatments. All in due time though.
the best part about watching a build is spending other peoples money...your gonna need this, your gonna need that... :laugh:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Congrats on your theater build! With your equipment list, I think you've gotten the most possible bang for the buck. Your floor will be reflective, but how much depends on your ceiling height. If you don't want to carpet, you could put down a throw rug at your reflection points. The walls should be treated, but although I'm a big believer in wall treatments, I haven't done it in my space get. Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Paint is finished and things are arriving. Speakers/mounts and receiver should be here on Monday and my Monoprice order should be coming in soon after. This Dayton sub is HUGE! I cant wait to fire it up and see what it can do. Went with a Sonax Extra Wide TV stand. The quality is great and it's nice and solid, but I think I'm going to have to modify the center shelf to fit the Pioneer center speaker. Furniture will be the next challenge along with an area rug and possibly some wall treatments, but this is where I stand for now!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Speakers and Mounts arrived today and I couldnt be happier. The quality on these Pioneers is wonderful! The center and bookshelves are a little larger than I had expected so I have a few simple questions...

First, I had originally planned to place the center speaker in the tv stand's center shelf, but the speaker is too large so I am forced to either modify the stand by lowering the shelf or putting the speaker on the top of the stand, as pictured. The photo is taken from where the main listening position will be. What would be the preferred setup for sound quality? I like the cleaner look of the speaker in the shelf, but dont want to go through the trouble of modifying the stand if it's going to sound worse in the end. Thoughts?

Second, as mentioned before, the bookshelves are rather large and I'm worried they may stand out a little too much mounted on the wall as surrounds. I've had these smaller Monitor bookshelves for a while but I've never actually hooked them up to anything. Just curious as to how much of a difference each speaker is going to make. I know it will be impossible to really tell until actually mounted and compared, just trying to get some advice before I actually install the wall mounts so I'm not doing things twice.

Still waiting on the receiver, bluray player, and speaker wire...

Attachments

·
Registered
922 Posts
you should make it fit or else your going to have to build another platform on top and that will get things more complicated. I'm not sure you should be installing 7 speakers at this point. 5.1 will be plenty. adding 2 more speaker to this echo chamber is going to be real trouble i tell ya... real trouble :gulp:

install the 5.1 set up and go from there... you probably dont want to mis-match your drivers. and 'monitors' typically do not make good surrounds as they are designed for direct listening right in front of you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you should make it fit or else your going to have to build another platform on top and that will get things more complicated. I'm not sure you should be installing 7 speakers at this point. 5.1 will be plenty. adding 2 more speaker to this echo chamber is going to be real trouble i tell ya... real trouble :gulp:

install the 5.1 set up and go from there... you probably dont want to mis-match your drivers. and 'monitors' typically do not make good surrounds as they are designed for direct listening right in front of you.
What exactly do you mean by build another platform on top? On top of the tv stand? The tv is going to be wall mounted so wouldnt I be ok just placing the center speaker right on the stand?

I wasnt planning on using both the Pioneer and Monitors as surrounds, but trying to decide if the Monitors would suffice in place of the Pioneers since they are smaller and less obtrusive (7 ft ceiling). I'm going with 5.1 regardless, just weighing my options.

·
Registered
922 Posts
okay yes was not sure you were wall mounting TV. you should be fine with center on top of cabinet in fact its better to have that on the cabinet.

your better off using the pioneers ;)

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Agreed. If you put the center in the cab, it's gonna get boomy and bloated. Plus ideally your front 3 tweeters should be as close in height to each other as possible. 16" is as far as I'd go. For surrounds, I agree with fschris. And you ultimately have to decide what's too intrusive. Mine stick out almost 17" and are nearly 45 lbs. I decided the WAF in this area. (Sorry honey! Lol)
Curious how you like the mounts. I put some in my Amazon cart for my FIL. Haven't pulled the trigger yet. Nice that your sharing pics too. Makes it fun for the rest of us.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great wall color choice. Like the look of the vinyl flooring too. Nice space! Congrats.
Thanks! I think the wall color turned out great too. The flooring is actually tile. I was told the previous owner was a tile rep so there's a good amount of it around the house. Dont worry gentlemen, I've been looking at area rugs and wall treatments, just havent found any I like just yet. I wanna get everything in there and wired before all that! One step at a time!

Agreed. If you put the center in the cab, it's gonna get boomy and bloated. Plus ideally your front 3 tweeters should be as close in height to each other as possible. 16" is as far as I'd go. For surrounds, I agree with fschris. And you ultimately have to decide what's too intrusive. Mine stick out almost 17" and are nearly 45 lbs. I decided the WAF in this area. (Sorry honey! Lol)
Curious how you like the mounts. I put some in my Amazon cart for my FIL. Haven't pulled the trigger yet. Nice that your sharing pics too. Makes it fun for the rest of us.
Gonna leave the center on top for now and mount the Pioneers on the wall. I figure if I want to change anything in the future, the tv stand will be easy enough to modify and the "universality" of the speaker mounts will work fine if I decide to go with the Monitors to save some space.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts