Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off i am a newbie and learning about home audio. i need help choosing floorstanding and center speakers, i am all about watching movies and no music, i have a budget of $800 for all three and any help would be greatly appreciated.
what ive currently been looking at:
klipsch rc 52 or 62 center channel
klipsch rf 52 towers
again thank you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
been reading up and see that most think that bookshelves are better for movie watching so i was thinking about klipsch rb61?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
First of all ... Welcome :wave:

Couple of questions:

Do you have a subwoofer??? .... or, Are you planning to get one in the future???

Do you want a 5.1 or 7.1 system???

Can you strech your budget??? ... let's say, another $200-$300

I ask this because there's a system that has been getting good reviews ( SVS 5.1 ) ...as you can see. you'll get a complete system instead of just the front speakers ...:yes:

·
Registered
98 Posts
i agree with sal, if you can stretch your budget a little, the SVS system is hard to beat. If you don't have a sub, even if you buy floorstanders, you won't get that good low movie bass. How large is your room? Also, have you listened to the Klipsch's? Some people love em, and some hate em, so make sure to demo before buying if you decide to go that route.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
been reading up and see that most think that bookshelves are better for movie watching so i was thinking about klipsch rb61?
I disagree if you can afford them Towers or floor standers for the front are better. David mentioned SVS but if you really want a nice front sound stage I would up your budget a little bit and get maybe just the two front SVS MTS Towers first, (you can phantom the center channel to start with) they are $1400 but you wont be disappointed. Then later on get the matching MCS center for $569.
Do you have a subwoofer yet?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dont mind streching my budget, i have a sub right now but i plan to upgrade. i have heard the klipsch and really like them. but im open to others since i am still learning.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also any ideas on a good surge protector? looking to spend around $100-200 and im sure you guys know of some to protect your investments.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you guys for your input, please keep giving me any advise or feedback on what speakers to which surge protector i should be using, my mind totally open to anything.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
can anyone tell me the difference between the SBS and SCS systems? I was thinking of the SBS 7.1 but saw the SCS 5.0 and i would also get the PB-10 sub and add 2 more surrounds later to complete the 7.1, which be more ideal?

·
Registered
135 Posts
i need help choosing floorstanding and center speakers, i am all about watching movies and no music, i have a budget of $800 for all three and any help would be greatly appreciated.
I just wanted to bring these speakers to your attention. A little over budget, but a excellent value vs. performance.

Diva by Swans 6.1 Floorstanding $849
http://www.ozhometheater.com/ozht_prodcat_htspeakers_floorstanding_6.1bc.htm

Diva by Swans C3 3-way Center Channel $329
http://www.ozhometheater.com/ozht_prodcat_htspeakers_center_c3bc.htm

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I read a lot of good things about this JBL L880 ... specially the bigger L890 (8" woofers instead of 6") :yes:

I own the JBL Venue Stadium (discontinued) and I'm happy ... this 880/890 are better according to reviews ...:yes:

You can start with a pair and later add a center and surrounds ... you'll need a sub, but you can start with just the towers (they go down to 35Hz I think).

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
You might also want to check out Definitive Technology. I've always been a big fan of them for home theater.

As far as surge protectors, anything will do. Unless the area you live in has extreme power issues you will not benefit from an expensive one over a cheap one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm leaning towards getting the front 3 scs and getting the surround later i have some old sony's i can use for a little while, but what sub should i get?
PC-plus 20-39, 16-46, or the PB12 NSD/2
the HT will going in a small room.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
, but what sub should i get? PC-plus 20-39, 16-46, or the PB12 NSD/2 the HT will going in a small room.
How big is your room??? ... Do you have space constraints??? ... I read that a cylinder is easy to place than a big box :yes:

I think SVS has in their website a calculator to get a suggestion on which sub to use according to the size of your room (here is the link www.svsound.com) :T

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Their customer service is also very good. You can shoot them an email with your room layout and size and they'll recommend a subwoofer.
:yeahthat:

E-mail them and they will give you there recommendation. Quite often, the suggest smaller than you would have chosed on your own.

JCD

1 - 20 of 30 Posts