Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys great forum here. I tried to do a search on this before I posted but no luck. I have been looking around here for awhile now and I think I want to go with a RL-s 15 and was looking at doing something like a sonosub set up because it looks like the easiest route but I have a couple of questions. I wanted to recess the sub in the wall (put it on its side on stands) and have the sonosub tube hidden (basically put the sub in useless space in the attic). I want to run a ported setup and I notice everyone put the port at the opposite end of the sub (I know there is not enough room for the sub and port on the same side) but if I found a sono tube large enough would it change the sound in any way?

·
Registered
306 Posts
i dosent really matter where you port it in the enclosure as long as its not like right next to the driver as (i would assume) being that close could impact its performance. when i say close to i mean the opening part.

If i were you i would just build a box so you can make one side big enough for both the port and the sub.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Port could be anywhere, but if closer that one port diameter to a wall from either side, it might lower the tune as well as restrict air flow implying noise and less tuning freq. performance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help fellows. Rodny I really like your setup and that is what I was shooting for. Like I said I am new here and have been looking around for awhile and trying to do my own research before posting. The only thing is I will be running only one sub and did not want to do an enclosure that large (since just one sub will be used can I just cut the dimensions of your box in half? And I have no Idea how to judge what frequency it needs to be tuned to.) Sorry for some many questions just trying to gain some of the knowledge that you guys have. If some one would point me in the right direction of a front firing driver and port box just like yours Rodny that would be great.

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
Maybe Steve:geek: or someone else will help you with the box design, after that I'll be glad to help you with building the box in the attic.:T:T
Can you post some pics of the room and the attic?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't go for nearly as large and low tuned a setup as Rodny is using, as one of the things I took into consideration for his system was that he would have four drivers on hand. Because of that, I felt it would be best to trade a little headroom from each driver in return for extra deep extension.

For just one 15" driver, I'd be looking at tuning in the ~15hz range to keep a good balance of extension and headroom. The RL-s15 doesn't like ported enclosures, it's made for small sealed car applications. Instead, staying in that price range, you'll want to take a look at dual RL-p15s or a single RL-p18. Let me know which way you want to go :T

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The room that it will be in is 14’ X 21’. Do you think one RL 15 would be enough or should I just wait until I can get two RL 15 or do you recommend doing one RL 18? I would like to stick with one sub if possible. Steve you mentioned a sealed box. Do you have any recommendations on size? Do you think putting the sub in the wall is a bad idea because you can’t move it around like for example a sono to help with tuning? Steve I noticed that you give a lot of recommendations about a ported enclosure for the RL 15 and 18 set up as a sonosub. Should I go that route? Sorry so many questions but I have read a lot on several sites and I am very confused :dontknow: on which is best for my application. I am leaning very hard towards a sonosub and I only want to build one enclosure and be done and not have to come back later and redo it. BTW I will be using an EP2500 to power the sub or subs. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
For the money, I would definitely take a RL-p18 over the RL-S15, no question about it. A sonosub will give you more flexibility in placement. An in wall sub will save space. You'll want to confirm that the position of the in wall sub will yield a nice FR at the seat before installing it, otherwise it might become an exercise in futility trying to flatten it out. Do this by putting any small existing sub you know the FR of in the spot where you want the in wall to go and measure at your seat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts