Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm new to the home theater thing and I was wondering if anyone could help me out deciding on my first components. First, the setup is going to include a Samsung 32" 720p tv, a playstation 3 (for music, games, and blue-ray), and that's about it actually. Baby steps haha. Anyway, I am looking for the following things to start out with (eventually working my way up to 5.1). The first things I would like to get are:

1. Suggestions on the best receiver for under 300 dollars?
2. Suggestions on the best floor standing speakers for under 300 dollars?

Can you guys help me with those two points to start off with?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
First of all....Welcome to the forum :wave:

I am looking for the following things to start out with (eventually working my way up to 5.1). The first things I would like to get are:

1. Suggestions on the best receiver for under 300 dollars?
2. Suggestions on the best floor standing speakers for under 300 dollars?
Couple of questions: How big is your room??? ....How loud you will play the system??? ...Do you have a sub (in case that you go with just floorstanders)???

If this will be your first system, I suggest going with a HTIB :rubeyes: (I know that most are not to good, but the Onkyo's are acceptable :yes:).

Take a look at the HTS 6100 , is a complete system (just $94 above your budget); good thing is that you can upgrade the speakers little by little, not like other HTIB's that you need to replace everything to upgrade.

If you want to stick to your original plan, I suggest you to take a look at the Onkyo receivers and also look in the used market for good deals :T

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My room is pretty small, about the size of a regular bedroom (I live in an apartment at college). I will take a look at that system. Could you make a suggestion as to those two things also though? I'm just starting off with floor standing speakers for now and will get a sub later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I don't have 694 dollars to spend all at once, that's why I want to start off with getting a receiver, a couple weeks later getting the first couple speakers...etc.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Purely suggestions, but..

For the receiver, I'd look at the offerings from Onkyo. Accessories4less usually has some pretty good deals on Onkyo stuff. This one is under your $300 limit.

As for the speakers, I'm not sure. I'm actually not a huge proponent of floorstanders, especially in that price range. I think you can find better performing speakers for the same price in a "bookshelf" speaker. Floorstanders can SOMETIMES provide more low end, but that's not a guarantee. I also think it's easier to properly set up a bookshelf speaker. In that price range, I think the SBS-01 from SVS is pretty hard to beat. If you can bump it up a little, I've heard GREAT things about the Usher S-520's. You'll want to get a sub at some point, but those are supposed to be pretty fine sounding speakers. Personally, I would cut back on your receiver budget and spend more on the speakers. I've mentioned it in other threads, but I'd go with 65-70% of your budget on the speakers and 35-30% on everything else. Speakers are way more important to the overall sound of your system than the electronics, so you spend your money accordingly.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Also, I don't have 694 dollars to spend all at once, that's why I want to start off with getting a receiver, a couple weeks later getting the first couple speakers...etc.
Take a look at this Receivers , and here is some Speakers .

You can also take a look in our classified area, maybe somebody is selling speakers....you can also check other places for good deals (I always like to go to BB looking for open box deals).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you guys would get a better pair of bookshelf speakers than floor standing ones in my price range? I'll check those out, thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
So you guys would get a better pair of bookshelf speakers than floor standing ones in my price range? I'll check those out, thanks guys!
I would.. but there are some that are pig headed and won't listen to reason and still continue to promote floor standers :whistling:

Seriously though, I do believe that at almost every price point, you'll find a better bookshelf speaker than a floor stander. At least until you get in to the really expensive stuff. At some point, I'm going to build myself an all out system that will have a bookshelf that sits on a bass box housing a 12" or 15" woofer. With speakers, size matters. Most commerical floor standers you find don't get drivers bigger than about 8". For the real full sound, I believe you NEED to get at least a 10, but more likely a 12 and even better a 15" woofer. And add a subwoofer to fill out the very bottom octave. But again, this is going to be a VERY expensive project. Even building this speaker myself, I'm probably looking at ~$750/speaker if not more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So for my main pair of bookshelf speakers what should I look for? Specific brands (but you mentioned that above), specs, size of woofers, etc?

And, when I add the three more speakers and the sub in the future to complete the 5.1, how do I choose those? Do they have to match the first two I'm buying in some way? Especially the "center" speaker?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
What do you guys think of these?

How are they so cheap!? They retail at 500 for one!
They look nice and will be a nice starting point to your system.

I have JBL Stadiums (like in your case a bought them because it was a good deal), here is a specifications if you want to compare them Beta 50 and JBL Stadium .

You can complement your 5.1 later with Beta series speakers, and I suggest you to get a SVS sub or if you're handy a DIY....:yes:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
How are they so cheap though? Should I be suspicious?
As you can see they stated that are used ( details )....

The bad news is that they have only one at $149, the other is $499.

Keep looking around and I'm sure you'll find a good deal.....also, I read a lot about this JBL L820 (Bookshelf :whistling:) and all L series :yes:

When I bought my Stadiums I paid $125 each, regular price was $250+, they were new speakers....

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Jeez where did you find that deal? On this site?
That was an everyday task, check Amazon (you can do it through us we're a store front), or you can do an online search but you need to know what speaker you're looking for (or you will get 1000's of deals :thud:)

I read that you can find good deals on ebay too, I bought some used speakers there and I also found good deal on Craiglist and Wikiki :yes:

Good luck searching :bigsmile:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would a HTIB be that bad for the first go around? Something from best buy or something? I could always take it back if I didn't like it

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Would a HTIB be that bad for the first go around? Something from best buy or something? I could always take it back if I didn't like it
I suggest you to read this thread first .....http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...ing-any-htib-bose-cube-type-systems-read.html then make your decision.

You can also get an AVR first, then take a look at this system (http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...-yambeka-audio-7-0-speaker-system-review.html), there's another company (http://www.fluance.com/allproducts.html) where I bought some speakers (AVBP2 bipolar) but I replaced them with others with a better frequency response (they're stored) :whistling:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah! So many choices! haha. Ok maybe this will narrow it down some:

As far as receivers go, which brands should I be looking at? Especially the ones with the higher quality lower budget ones?

As far as bookshelves or floorstanding speakers go, which brands?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Ah! So many choices! haha. Ok maybe this will narrow it down some:

As far as receivers go, which brands should I be looking at? Especially the ones with the higher quality lower budget ones?

As far as bookshelves or floorstanding speakers go, which brands?
I think there are three brands of receivers that get the most nods:
  1. Denon
  2. Yamaha
  3. Onkyo

Onkyo may be the value leader of the bunch based purely on features/cost.

As for speakers, there are simply hundreds or even thousands of brands that are out there. And as was mentioned, everybody has a different taste, so what may sound good to me may sound like garbage to you. That being said, I'd take a look at the offerings from:
  • Paradigm
  • Klipsch
  • PSB
  • Polk
  • Infinity
  • SVS (internet only)
  • Etc.

I'm pretty sure that each has something in your price range.

You might want to read this. It might help clarify some of my points.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts