Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking for a while and have gone through the member's database. I originally thought I'd do the "easy button" design but am now wanting to go with a sonotube as I do have the room for a "water heater". My problem is using or in my case not being able to use/understand WinISD as I don't know if I can go as large as others have with different subs. Can I safely do 600-650 liters with this driver tuned to 14 hz? Or what would be better? I will be powering with EP2500 and taming with BFD 1124. I also assume a HPF is in the cards right? :scratch:

Thx in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's no reason to go as big as 600-650 liters. 370 liters tuned to 15 hz would be a good balance of box size and low end output.
Thx Mike for the reply - did the size of the room influence your answer?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
In a way, yes. The bigger the room the more low end output it will take to fill the room. With a 15 hz tuning you may not need a HPF, it will depend how hard you push the sub. The advantage of the EP2500 is it has enough power to drive a second sub should you decide you want more output in the future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no wonder I can't figure out WinISD - simple math stumps me... :dumbcrazy:

Seriously though I measured the area last night of my new HT room in the basement and it's more like 21' x 24' and is concrete behind all drywall except the ceiling. Should I think about two 370L subs as Mike suggested which equates to more time and money or can I look at going with a larger lower tuned design? It would be easier/cheaper to go with a larger sonotube than buying two subs - but if the modeling of the IXL 18 doesn't match with larger displacement than I'll understand. Right now I have (2) powered 10" subs that aren't doing anything for me in that space.....(hence the need to upgrade)

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
In a 21' x 24' concrete room you'll need 2 subs if you're looking for a HT experience in my opinion. You can build one to start with and build a second in the future if one sub isn't enough as I would suspect.
...or can I look at going with a larger lower tuned design? It would be easier/cheaper to go with a larger sonotube than buying two subs...
It needs to be understood that going larger and lower does not translate into louder. Tuning a sub to 12 hz would give more low end extension at the result of overall SPL. In your concrete bunker you need all the SPL you can get. For your application it's all about finding the right balance of low end extension and SPL.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thx! I'm going to take your advice and build one and then (hopefully) add another when I can (waf, $)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sonosub warns that the clearance is less than port diameter - if I go with a 23" diameter then clearance is okay as overall length increases. Does this effect port speed?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts