Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought a RCA model number RT2870. And I need some help with setting up the the speakers to make it sound great. I'm really new into the who Home Theater systems so any help would be great.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Hi Tyler.

Start be reading the manual and following the instructions there. When you have specific questions, post them here and we'll be happy to help.

Marshall

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi Tyler, Welcome to the Shack!

When you say that you need help with the speaker setup to make it sound good are you saying placement?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have read the manual it doesnt really say anything. I need help setting the speakers on the receiver so they sound good. IE levels, for all the speakers, dobly digtal stuff like that

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
does the receiver have some sort of tone or noise test tone for setting levels?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it has a test button the remote, I just cant get to to sound good at all I watched Transformers lastnight and I had to turn it up really loud to hear it.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm also using optical from my cable box to the receiver

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Ok, in the menu of the receiver (on screen) there should be adjustments for each channel, use the test tone to set all the speakers to be at the same volume when sitting in the listening position. start with the fronts set at "0" (I assume that the level adjustments go from a "-10 to +10" or something like that). What are they set at now?
How big is your room?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it goes from -10 to 10 I have all the speakers set +6 and the subwoofer at -5.. My living room is small i would say the tv to my couch is 6 feet

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Just for your info have a look at this thread as it will answer some of your questions.

In your DVD player do you have the audio output settings set right? they need to be set to output Bitstream and make sure you dont have any setting like "night mode" or "dynamic compression" (DRC) turned on.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i will turn off those cause they are on. What should the levels be at?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Unless you have a Decibel (SPL) meter its going to be tough to get the levels perfect but they shold be loud enough to be somewhat uncomfortable. I would set your mains at about +4 and the sorrounds at +2 and set the sub at +4 unless your in an apartment then keeping it lower would be better.

·
Registered
83 Posts
an analog spl meter from radio shack, avia dvd would be helpful in calibrating your system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts