Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New to this site. I need help with a recommendation on a surround sound processor. I have 12 channels of 150 watt amps available. Six channels are used to tri-amp my left and right stereo equipment. I don't need a subwoofer as my mains go down to about 25 Hz. So I need 5.0 I guess. Is there an inexpensive bare bones processor out there anywhere?

Jerry

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Emotiva is about to ship a pretty nice, albeit barebones pre/pro for under $1k

Outlaw is also looking to ship on later this year at the $1300 or so mark. Both are 7.1, but you don't have to use all the channels.

If you want something that's on shelves now, you have to go with the Integra DTC9.9 or Onkyo Pro SC886P (same unit, different branding), which are had in the $1500 to $1700 price range.

There are others, but the price goes up from there.

If you don't need video processing and room EQ, then the Emotiva is probably going to be the best deal out there. Sadly, it's still vaporware :(

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
What mains do you have Jerry? They must be high end to go that deep. I still would highly recommend a subwoofer as 25Hz is still not very low considering there is allot of information well below that in movies.

By the way, Welcome to the Shack!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mains are DIY. Tri-amping give you a lot of control over speaker response. This is my first tri-map system and I am looking forward to integrating it into a home theater system.

Know anything about the Outlaw 950? I may go to the used market.

Jerry

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Have you considered using a receiver with pre-outs?

I am with Tony... it is hard to get good LFE from mains, but more importantly, you miss a good bit of info that is below 25Hz. I would recommended a sub. :T

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. I was hoping to avoid the room shaker but I will problably build one. Would 300 W be enough from a bridges amp?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Oh yeah... you could build a nice sub with 300 watts. Of course more is always better and you may not shake the house down with 300 watts, but it would be better than none at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts