Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all:

I very recently joined the forum and everybody has been very friendly. It turns out that eugovector is from Iowa.

I want to make a portion of my basement serve as a dedicated home theater. The dimensions are 14x20x8 with a somewhat irregular shape. I've attached a rough diagram (not to scale) of my proposed theater and some pictures (in a zip file) to give people an idea of what I am thinking of. I'm very early in the planning stages and am very open to everyone's advice/suggestions. My basic desires in terms of electronics are:

-1080P projector
-~90-100 inch screen
-Seating for six
-5.1 sound (preferably 7.1) if the room is sufficiently large to justify it
-The first row of seats about 10 feet from the screen

There is a large HVAC that can be seen in the pics. I'm totally open in how to deal with that and the use of sheetrock vs a suspended ceiling.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

Sincerely,

Basa14

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
The design layout looks reasonably fine, except for the surround speaker position..
I would suggest that you move them out of that alcove area..and move them forward to the same width area as the front wall..
I would also place them on the side walls, adjacent to the seating position..

In that shape room, I don't think you'll be able to have 7.1 setup, but a 5.1 system will work fine..

Also, with all that timber panelling, you will need to look at some acoustic treatment, including wall panels and bass traps..

Keep us up to date with your progress..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prof,

Thanks for your advice. That wood paneling was there when I got the home. Would the acoustics improve if I removed all that paneling and placed sheetrock with some insulation behind it? Two of the four walls are concrete, which I am not sure if that is bad or good.

I was concerned about how the rear of the theater was a different width than the front. With the layout of the room, I really cannot change that. Would it work at all for a 6.1 system with the rear surround channel?

Since the window is where the screen is, and because the wall will never be perfectly flat, I'm planning on blocking the light coming in from the window and have the screen come from the ceiling. Is that a reasonable plan vs a fixed screen?

Thanks for everything,

Basa14

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Thanks for your advice. That wood paneling was there when I got the home. Would the acoustics improve if I removed all that paneling and placed sheetrock with some insulation behind it?
It would certainly help things if you did that..

Two of the four walls are concrete, which I am not sure if that is bad or good.
Concrete walls present other problems, but you should be able to reduce reflections from them with acoustic panels strategically placed..
It will depend on whether the're side walls or front and back walls

Would it work at all for a 6.1 system with the rear surround channel?
A 6.1 system would work better with that alcove area..

Since the window is where the screen is, and because the wall will never be perfectly flat, I'm planning on blocking the light coming in from the window and have the screen come from the ceiling. Is that a reasonable plan vs a fixed screen?
That would be fine..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Prof,

Once again, thanks for your advice.

The walls with concrete our the one with screen and the wall to right when you are facing the screen. Anything special that should be on those walls with that in mind.

Is a riser of any use for the 2nd row of seats in a room this size?

Appreciate all of your input,

Basa14

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Is a riser of any use for the 2nd row of seats in a room this size?
Yes ... my room is just 9'x18'x8' and I have a riser for a better viewing from second row :yes:
Here is a link to a calculator, this will help you calculate the height of the riser ... just input the information need it.

I'm surprissed the Prof. didn't give you the link to his Blocking window thread ... unless he wants to copyright the design first :rofl2:

Theres some considerations you need to take when designing/building an HT ... but you'll be getting them little by little (like viewing distance calculator , speaker set up/placement , etc.) :bigsmile:

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
My room is 11' x 19' x 7' 6" and I have an 11" riser for better rear seat viewing. My tall friend (6' 7") has to hunch down, but for everyone else, it's cozy but works great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anthony and Salvasol,

Thanks for the helpful advice and links to calculators, etc. Given the size of your respective rooms, how large are your screens and what kind of speaker system do you employ?

Thanks for all the tips,

Basa14

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
I have a 92" screen with the projector in the back of the room (Sanyo Z4). I could go bigger, but then I wouldn't have any room for the speakers. Seating distance is 8 to 9' from the screen (front row).

I currently run a 4.1 system consisting of Magnepan speakers (10.1 fronts, MC1 rears) and a DIY dipole subwoofer, which if I ever paint, I will post pictures of :) :daydream:

I found that with the narrow room and proper aim, I get a fabulous phantom center image from the Magnepans. I'm working on a DIY open baffle speaker system to replace the Maggies, but it is put on hold until the winter (when I"m cooped up more).

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
The walls with concrete our the one with screen and the wall to right when you are facing the screen. Anything special that should be on those walls with that in mind.
Sorry for the late reply..I've had ISP problems..:waiting:

The front wall being concrete shouldn't be a problem, but having to different constructions on the sidewalls is not ideal..
Ideally they should be the same type..and I would suggest if it's in your budget, to build a false wall in front of the concrete side wall, to match the other side wall..Then you will have a more evenly balanced acoustic environment..

·
Banned
137 Posts
There is a large HVAC that can be seen in the pics. I'm totally open in how to deal with that and the use of sheetrock vs a suspended ceiling.
Hi Basa. Seems like the hvac might not be your first concern as applies to the ceiling area. How much noise is coming from upstairs and how much noise do you plan to make? These types of questions will help you to establish isolation requirements between this lower room and the above floor traffic.

Good luck,

Brien

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
... Given the size of your respective rooms, how large are your screens and what kind of speaker system do you employ?
I'm using a Samsung 67" DLP, I wish that I could use a screen and projector :yes:

I have a 7.2 speaker system (JBL's Stadiums, JBL SCenterII, JBL S36II, Velodyne VRP1000 and Infinity TSS750 subs and finally a pair of Buttkickers (one under each row)); my first row is around 11' from front wall and second row 16' ... one of the problems I have is that the second row is really close to back wall (1') ... which is not to good, but you have to use what you have :bigsmile:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will ask a foolish question, but how elaborate is a false wall? I assume it is more than framing and putting up some sheetrock?

Since I'm single, there is not a lot of noise coming from upstairs. I want respectable volume from the system and I don't want to hear much etraneous noise coming from the furnace/AC while watching a movie. I have no plans on moving to a new house, but I also want some isolation in case I ever decide to sell the house.

Anthony, I've heard of dipole surrounds, dipole main speakers, but never of a dipole subwoofer. It sounds as if both Anthony and Salvasol are both blessed in the bass department.

Thanks for the advice,

Basa14

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I will ask a foolish question, but how elaborate is a false wall? I assume it is more than framing and putting up some sheetrock?
Well it's actually not much more than that..
You would need to include some insulation in the framing..and use two layers of sheetrock bonded together..
It's also a good way of hiding your cables by running them through PVC pipe in the wall cavity..

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
... It sounds as if both Anthony and Salvasol are both blessed in the bass department...
Thank you, and believe me ... you'll be there sooner or later :bigsmile:

Once you start in this hobby, is a non-stop fun ... upgrading, tweeking, adding/replacing equipment, subs, speakers, etc...

The buttkicker are a :yay: complement to the HT experience ... even with subs that can go down to low frequencies; they add that extra feeling to movies :yes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fellas,

I have been absent from this board for a long time.

I'm still planning on doing my HT. Everyone has been very helpful in terms of recommendations/advice.

In terms of equipment, I have a lot of that stuff at this point:

-Onkyo 885 pre/pro
-Emotive XPA-5 amp
-PS3/ Toshiba HD-A3
-Emotiva ERT-8.3 (L/R); ERT-6.3 for C; ERD-1's for surround
-SVS PB-13 SW.
-APC line conditioner

I'm planning on blocking the window and using a drop down screen. I really want to a CIH. I was thinking of using a Panasonic PT-3000 and an Elite Osprey screen so I could view both 16:9 and 2.35 content. I'm planning on my front row being 9 feet from the screen and the hack row (on a riser) feet away. The screen (in 2.35 mode) is 115" diagonal and 45 inches high. I'm not certain how high to make the riser as I'm not certain how far the bottom of the screen will be from the floor.

Here is a link with some info on the Osprey:

http://www.avispl.com/av-products/s...ductname=Osprey+Multi-Masking+Electric+Screen

Does anyone have any experience with these screens? It is not tensioned, is that a huge liability?

In terms of the room, my basic plan is to tear down the wood paneling, run the wires, and have an electrician put in an additional 20 amp circuit or two to ensure adequate power. Then lay down the sheetrock.

Does anyone have any advice in terms sound proofing so I do not hear the HVAC system? I was thinking of using 5/8" sheetrock with Auralax acoustic foam between the studs to try and isolate the noise the HVAC puts out. I'd also appreciate any advice on what to do with the ceiling/soffitt.

Since it has been so long since I have been here I will upload the pics of my basement and my current thoughts on the floor plan. Since my internet connection is not doing well in terms of uploading stuff, I'm not able to do so right now. I'm using Windows Paint. Is there any freeware out there that one can use to easily draw to scale floor plans.

Sorry about the length of this post.

Thanks for everything,

Basa

·
Registered
888 Posts
Does anyone have any advice in terms sound proofing so I do not hear the HVAC system? I was thinking of using 5/8" sheetrock with Auralax acoustic foam between the studs to try and isolate the noise the HVAC puts out. I'd also appreciate any advice on what to do with the ceiling/soffitt.
Are you doing anything else in the room to contain sound? Or are you just concerned with reducing the sound coming from the vents?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I saw that thing of beauty. And that was really quite nice of you to remember. Thank you.

Now yours was thermal and light blocking, with absortion on theater side I believe. You didn't make accomodations for added mass for sound isolation, right?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts