Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After learning that the Radio Shack SPL meter is basically useless in the mid to high frequencies, I'm looking to find out what is the next step up that will work to about 12-16khz with a decent level of reliability? I am not looking for high end equipment. Just budget stuff that will work at least "well".

Not looking to break the bank either. Any suggestions? Is this at all possible?

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
I use the RS SPL meter to set levels and the ECM8000 for measurements. Read up on the ECM8k, though for high frequencies -- the orientation does make a difference for the top two octave measurements. We now have a .cal file here that takes that into account.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The Galaxy CM140 is a much better SPL meter and is accurate up to about 16kHz it is avalable at many on line distributors and Amazon for about $129

·
Registered
486 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I agree, I stepped up from the RS meter to the Galaxy CM-140 SPL meter/mic. It works very well for me in my REW setup. I particularly like the MAX setting that allows you to run through a scene or music selection and get the highest peak dB. I just keep it in the packaging it shipped in and it stays nice and protected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts