Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
There are lots of people using AT screens, and it have not heard any of them complain about a difference in sound. On the contrary, many prefer it as it makes dialog seem more like it is coming from the "point of origin" so to speak.

Had I the room in my HT, I would have definitely gone with an AT screen...
Thanks

Test it out for size on a blank wall or bedsheet to see how it feels. I'd go AT if your room has the depth to accommodate an extra 2 feet or so at the front, but it can't hurt to try out in the current setup.
That's the plan
What aspect ratio are you shooting for? If the issue is height (floor to ceiling) see if you can squeeze some more screen by going 2.40:1... it's a great screen size for 80% of films.
I'm not sure about a 2.35 or 16x9. I'll be playing alot of games and watching blurays. I don't know which one is better. Any advice?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Currently Im thinking of a couple different options.

Option 1: Go bigger than a 92 inch screen OR as big as I can go without the screen hanging too low. Move ALL speakers behind screen and build a false wall covered in fabric. Not sure where I would locate my components which is what is holding me back from the false wall.

Option 2: build a false wall, go big as possible, and put all three front speakers in front of the wall, hide the subs behind the wall. Still not sure where to locate my components like bluray, pre pro, and xpa5. I would have to figure out a way to hide them behind the screen wall also.

Option 3: get a 92 inch screen and hold off on wall and nothing would have to move. I could take my center out of the cabinet, put it on the stand where it should be, and have room for more components.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Currently Im thinking of a couple different options.

Option 1: Go bigger than a 92 inch screen OR as big as I can go without the screen hanging too low. Move ALL speakers behind screen and build a false wall covered in fabric. Not sure where I would locate my components which is what is holding me back from the false wall.

Option 2: build a false wall, go big as possible, and put all three front speakers in front of the wall, hide the subs behind the wall. Still not sure where to locate my components like bluray, pre pro, and xpa5. I would have to figure out a way to hide them behind the screen wall also.

Option 3: get a 92 inch screen and hold off on wall and nothing would have to move. I could take my center out of the cabinet, put it on the stand where it should be, and have room for more components.

Man, I just love the look of your space.

What is behind your seats?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Yeah, what a great looking room. I'm still pre-planning our eventual space, but component placement is a concern too. I think what I want to do is build a sliding cabinet into the false wall on heavy duty drawer slides. also debating screen ratio for a small room, but I think I want to do constant height full width and make 2 simple masking panels to velcro up for 16:9 material.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
The two smaller doors that are on the back wall - do those go in to storage areas? If so, is it the same area? What I was thinking was removing one of those doors and making that a A/V shelf. You could run the necessary wiring behind the baseboards to the front stage...

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Thanks

That's the plan

I'm not sure about a 2.35 or 16x9. I'll be playing alot of games and watching blurays. I don't know which one is better. Any advice?
I personally prefer the 2.40:1 simply because it accommodates the vast majority of movies that are released and maxes out their picture size. Measure you space and see if you can get more picture if you go with that aspect ratio...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
The two smaller doors that are on the back wall - do those go in to storage areas? If so, is it the same area? What I was thinking was removing one of those doors and making that a A/V shelf. You could run the necessary wiring behind the baseboards to the front stage...
The right door goes to my attic. The left door goes to a little room that has my ac unit. I thought about putting them in that room but might not be able to because no room.

I personally prefer the 2.40:1 simply because it accommodates the vast majority of movies that are released and maxes out their picture size. Measure you space and see if you can get more picture if you go with that aspect ratio...
I play a lot of games but also watch a lot of movies. There are pros and cons of both 16x9 and 2.35

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
If you don't often have to access the ac room, what about putting your equipment in the corner in front of the door? It may close off the ability to walk around that side to get to a chair, but you still have a pathway open to get to all seating.

Just brainstorming here... :bigsmile:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Got the new Panny 8000 replacement unboxed. Did a temp setup on a ladder and a 92 inch bedsheet.The Panny 8000 was roughly16'10-17 feet back from the sheet. Going by the calculator on a 92 inch screen, it stated I should mount it 9-18 feet back. I measured it from the ladder to the screen after I took everything down. Meant to ask, I ran Pacific Rim from my WD passport through my Sony S580, then to my Marantz 8801, then finally to the PJ.
Sorry for the quality, snapped these real quick with the iPhone 5

Here are my results:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
If you don't often have to access the ac room, what about putting your equipment in the corner in front of the door? It may close off the ability to walk around that side to get to a chair, but you still have a pathway open to get to all seating.

Just brainstorming here... :bigsmile:
This is what is on the sides of my room. I have a small crawl space on both sides.

I thought about cutting a short but wide hole in either side of my short walls, and mounting the equipment in there.

Here is the AC closet opening. (iPhone pics, sorry)

Hey Nezff!!!! You have come a long way with your HT since the last time I saw it!!!!! Outstanding! BZ!!!!!
thanks bud

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Nez,

I've been following the progression of your systems ever since you had that 60" SXRD in the white-colored custom cabinet/wall unit your dad, I believe it was, built for you and when you had the Onkyo 606, was it? From there I remember you upgraded to an 805, I think, right? And then I remember you moved your system into this upper room/attic setup with the giant Mitsubishi rear pro...

What happened to your 60" SXRD? I know they threw you and "Lordoftherings" off of Blu-ray.com but don't know what happened there...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Nez,

I've been following the progression of your systems ever since you had that 60" SXRD in the white-colored custom cabinet/wall unit your dad, I believe it was, built for you and when you had the Onkyo 606, was it? From there I remember you upgraded to an 805, I think, right? And then I remember you moved your system into this upper room/attic setup with the giant Mitsubishi rear pro...

What happened to your 60" SXRD?
605,pioneer elite, 876, 5508, demon 4520, Marantz 8801.

Recently sold the sony 60" and entertainment center

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
Sorry guys but some posts are not letting me edit them. Not sure if this is due to site rules etc?
But photobucket is now charging some insane amount of money to host third party sharing. I have moved to Imgur and currently posting as I go.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Pics are now working on first page. I have changed my system specs to what they are currently.

I added a Marantz 8801
75" Sony 4K tv and reconfigured the lower tv stand. I brought the center channel out and under the tv to make the TV look as if it is "floating".

61 - 78 of 78 Posts