Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got my NHT 1.3As in 1992. They were actually my first purchase ever from a boutique audio shop. I was amazed at how much better they sounded than the speakers they replaced (a pair of Marantz HD-440s that I bought in September of 1979 at Highland Appliance in Saginaw, MI - one of the precursors to the big box stores of today).

A couple of years ago, when I bought a pair of B&W DM603 s3s and an LCR600 to go across the front of my system, I moved the NHTs to the back. I don't know if it's because of that angled front panel, but the NHTs seem like they're ideally suited to providing rear-channel coverage.

Anyone out there have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Cwall99,

Hi! Great speakers. I remember them well as I had the 1.5's with the same design (slightly different drivers). They were great as front main monitors and am sure they are just as good for surround duties. The angled baffle was mainly for two things, so that the speakers would be already 'toed-in' when placed in front/forward position and to keep any internal walls from being parallel with each other with respect to the front baffle (drivers). Glad you like them and are still using them! I've been through may renditions of NHT's ever since the advent of the SuperZeros.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, I own the NHT SB-2's from yesteryear's SuperAudio Series. They are a punchy speaker capable of some serious volume in medium to small sized rooms. Bass response falls off at about 50hz and upper response at around 20khz (measured with my spl meter nearfield). They do require a lot of power to perform at their peak however. You are rewarded with awesome transient response and excellent clarity, while still being a "polite" laid back speaker.

Anyone else care to share their experiences?
SB2s are quite good speakers, of course in their price range. I would say rather well balanced, without obvious coloration, particularly in bass domain. Lowes dont go very down, but thankfully to close box design dont roll off sharply and at the same time are quite transparent (for the price range ;-). And still bass can be quite convincing. Mids are clear and highs not offensive, still clear though. Maybe not the most dynamic speaker, rather as you say on laid back side of performance, but can play loud, very loud and still clear. Good choice for lower mid level range, particularly if bought as bargain in second hand.

nsnotes

21 - 23 of 23 Posts