Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Juli and I gave each other a new camera for Christmas this year. It is likely more than we need, but we are very impressed so far. I am sure that I will be asking some questions as we learn more about it, but for now, using it completely in auto mode, it has been great.

Any experts out there that have any tips on where to find more detailed info on learning how to get the most out of it? Any particular forums, newsgroups, or other resources that you find useful?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Generally speaking, I like Steve's Digicams site for camera reviews; here is the link for the D60 (even though you already bought the camera it might be interesting):
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/nikon_d60.html

I recently found Ken Rockwell's site. Here is his D60 review and critique. While he isn't a fan of the D60, he at least tells you why so you can take it or leave it. Go to the bottom of the page and click on "How-To", there is a lot of good stuff here. He gets some coin from advertisers, but makes no bones about it. Of interest is that while he is quite knowledgeable in photography, he uses his digital cameras on their 'auto' setting most of the time. This is my own experience as well.
http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

Next is a site that has a glossary of what I term "mini-lessons"; while not 'how-to's', they put a lot of info in a small space. I learned quite a bit recently by reading the ones on "dynamic range" and "histogram".
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Don. That is exactly the kind of info that I was looking for...a starting point to learn more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use various Nikon DSLR's for work. What lense do you have? I am mostly self taught on 35mm SLR's, however the most important parts to research (IMO) are the relationship between shutter speed and aperture. One of the best exercises I recommend for people learning on any SLR is to take pictures only in Manual mode, and with a fixed focal length. (lens)
Whatever you do, don't use the cheater modes offered on your camera. (eg. portrait/action/landscape)
I find once people rely on these functions, their expensive Digital SLR's turn into nothing more than a point and shoot. So learn in manual mode, and if you have a zoom type lens, only use it at 50mm. Again most people don't understand how the zoom function affects field of view, so they use their zoom on a subject and can't get satisfactory results in manual/aperture, or shutter mode. As a result they resort back to the "cheater modes" listed above to get satisfactory pics.
If you have any questions, I would be happy to try and help. One thing for sure, it's a lot easier when someone shows you how different functions on your camera work, than reading about it.

Puppypappa

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
Thanks for those comments, pup. I'll try that out. I'm using the D40, and have tried various auto modes, as well as the manual modes. I'll try to stick with the manual modes. I was a photo geek in high school, but it's been a while...

·
Registered
11 Posts
No problem Otto. As I said, I'm mostly self taught (with some formal courses later into my career). Learning on a film camera was verrrry expensive. Take one pic, write down all the settings (aperture, shutter speed, focal length), then take 2nd pic....rinse and repeat. Then get my film developed and go back to my diary to see what I did right and wrong. I wouldn't get the immediate feedback that you get on digital as I might not get the roll developed until 2 weeks later.
I swore I would never go digital, and it took me forever to convert. Now I wonder what took me so long. (transferred 3years ago) Funny thing is, I run all Canon for my personal stuff and my work is stuck on Nikon, so I run Nikon at work...the controls are backwards no matter what I pick up.

Puppypappa

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I shot film in SLRs for many years, and I still have my old AE1. I understand the basics of film photography, but what I lack is an understanding of the issues that may be different with digital, as well as the capabilities of the various modes and features of the new camera. As I play with it, I will find more specific questions. I have been shooting on full auto and am actually impressed with the results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think Nikon is the best!
My friend has many DSLRs but he like Nikon most, always carry it with him.
He said it give best tone color and easy to use.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been very pleased just using the camera on auto so far. Still a great deal to learn to get the most out of it, but it is amazing how well it performs in dummy mode. Coming from a film 35mm background, I have to say I am very pleased with the camera so far with little input other than the shutter button.

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
I really took this thread to heart. I've been using manual modes since I last wrote in this thread. The auto modes on the Nikon are great, no doubt. But I've been able to figure out how to tweak a few of the parameters to achieve different results. Try clicking the "+" button twice (lower left on the back of the camera). It will allow you to select some important parameters rather quickly. I mostly play with white balance, and ISO, but sometimes also exposure compensation and focus modes. I learned a lot of from reading this guy.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, Otto!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts