Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I bought a new receiver with high def codecs but I can't get them to work. I have a panasonic blu ray model # is bdp-55k, and an Onkyo 805 receiver. They are hooked up using HDMI only. I got the good picture for blu-rays, and I have sound... but not the good sound. Its giving me THX sound and PLII etc...

I didn't read the manual.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey guys... I bought a new receiver with high def codecs but I can't get them to work. I have a panasonic blu ray model # is bdp-55k, and an Onkyo 805 receiver. They are hooked up using HDMI only. I got the good picture for blu-rays, and I have sound... but not the good sound. Its giving me THX sound and PLII etc...

I didn't read the manual.
If there is a setting on the BR player to output something like raw or bitstream or something like that, then that should hopefully send the encoded stream to the 805 for decoding.

One other thing to check is that you're playing one of the HD Audio tracks from the BR in the disc audio options for the movie.

Jim C

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If there is a setting on the BR player to output something like raw or bitstream or something like that, then that should hopefully send the encoded stream to the 805 for decoding.

One other thing to check is that you're playing one of the HD Audio tracks from the BR in the disc audio options for the movie.

Jim C
Options are for PCM and bitream and I have it on PCM. HD audio tracks from the BR audio is a go. Is PCM the correct setting?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Options are for PCM and bitream and I have it on PCM. HD audio tracks from the BR audio is a go. Is PCM the correct setting?
PCM on BDP means, your player is doing the decoding. You won't see TrueHD, DTS-MA etc on your receiver's display in this case.
If you set your BDP to bitstream, then your receiver has to do the decoding (assuming it is capable of doing that.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes. Bluray players do the decoding now and send a digital signal to the receiver so it can DAC and amp. No reason to have your receiver do the decoding. It won't do a better job running the exact same algorithem as your player and your player may need to decode several files and mix them, something your receiver simply can not do.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So... which do I need to set it to? Either ?

I would like for the receiver to say "Dolby Digital Plus" or w/e the kids are calling it nowadays on the front of the onkyo display. Would that be bitstream?... so the receiver decodes?

Is it better to go PCM and have the player decode? If so, thats what I'm doing but the receiver is taking the PCM and doing THX and Dolby PLII which both don't sound quite right to me.

·
Registered
47 Posts

I would like for the receiver to say "Dolby Digital Plus" or w/e the kids are calling it nowadays on the front of the onkyo display. Would that be bitstream?... so the receiver decodes?
Yes, set it to bitstream on BDP, if you really want to see TrueHD/DTS-MA etc on the display of the receiver. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is it better to go PCM and have the player decode? If so, thats what I'm doing but the receiver is taking the PCM and doing THX and Dolby PLII which both don't sound quite right to me.
Player doing decoding has some advantages, specially in the cases where interactive contents are concerned.

If all you are doing is selecting a track and watching it, then either (player or receiver) doing decoding is fine.

If player does decoding, then receiver does not really know what the original format was, so you will not see
the name of the format (TrueHD, DTS-MA etc) displayed on the receiver's display.

If receiver is doing decoding, obviously it will know and display the name of the format.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the Panny 35, and BP is correct in his advice.

One more thing, go into the 55's menu and make sure secondary audio is 'off'. Then when you bitstream, the name of the hi-def codec will display on your AVR.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Are they sending the DTSMA and Dolby HD via bitstream now? I thought they weren't doing that. I also remember seeing somewhere about how decoding in the player had some advantages.

Either way, the sound should be the same, as the DAC in the 805 is what you're hearing whether it be bitstream or PCM.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, some times the player needs to mix tracks and the authors of the disk can do silly things. There is no real standard for format or codex if you have noticed. So you can't rely on the one track - one audio being true all the time. It's actually a rare player which will send out bitstream, most must decode and send out PCM. You never know when a firmware update will stop the bitstreaming because some movie execs get paranoid about piracy. I really dislike this technology because it is based on metal illness but that is another topic.

You don't need your receiver saying what the codex is. You can find that out in the player itself. I get the whole seeing it on the receiver though but it just isn't how this technology was designed. So yes, you want to send out PCM just to make sure all the tracks that should be playing are playing.

I don't know what your receiver is doing with the PCM signal it is getting. It should only be DACing and amping, nothing else. Sounds like it is doing more than that which is messing up the sound. Maybe your player is sending out stereo PCM and the receiver is up converting from there. Unfortunately receivers are marketed on specs and those specs are not needed. So they are all capable of decoding all these HD audio codexes yet most players won't even send the raw undecoded signal.

It would be nice if there was just a receiver with an excellent DAC, amp and media switcher with 3-4 HDMI inputs and a couple legacy inputs and nothing more. That is a great product idea. If you want to get the better DAC and amp you have to spend more and more money for a bunch of specs and inputs which are really just not needed. All those extra bells and whistles just cause extra electronic noise.

Anyways, hope you find the lucky combination that you are happy with.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I got all my questions answered here;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1075161

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help. I'll play around with it tonight. I never have used hdmi to get the new sound formats... only analogue hence the panny 55. I think the assessment is correct that the way I have it setup, the Blu-ray is sending data via PCM to the onkyo and then the Onkyo is doing processing which isn't what I want. I just want it to play the file like the panny sends it. So... since I don't know how to do that correctly, I figured the next best thing would be for the receiver to actually say Dolby master or HD true/ so I KNOW I'm getting the correct sound.

·
I tried being mean once. I sucked at it.
26 Posts
Jethro, you'd be surprised how often the same topic comes up with the PS3. The PS3 also does onboard so you don't see the light on the receiver either. Welcome to the early adapter club! Now go get the Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Blu-Ray and be prepared to awe-struck.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Jethro, you'd be surprised how often the same topic comes up with the PS3. The PS3 also does onboard so you don't see the light on the receiver either. Welcome to the early adapter club! Now go get the Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Blu-Ray and be prepared to awe-struck.
So what would happen if you set the PS3 to bitstream? Would it pass it as regular DTS or DD?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for the help. I'll play around with it tonight. I never have used hdmi to get the new sound formats... only analogue hence the panny 55. I think the assessment is correct that the way I have it setup, the Blu-ray is sending data via PCM to the onkyo and then the Onkyo is doing processing which isn't what I want. I just want it to play the file like the panny sends it. So... since I don't know how to do that correctly, I figured the next best thing would be for the receiver to actually say Dolby master or HD true/ so I KNOW I'm getting the correct sound.
OK then - another piece of the puzzle.

If you're using the analog outputs, then the AVR will never show the hi-def codecs.

You'll only see them on the AVR if you bitstream via hdmi cable, (I am 99% certain of that).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK then - another piece of the puzzle.

If you're using the analog outputs, then the AVR will never show the hi-def codecs.

You'll only see them on the AVR if you bitstream via hdmi cable, (I am 99% certain of that).
I mislead by my wording. I am using HDMI now with a totally new setup and the same old panny 55 that I used to use analogues with. Now I'm going HDMI and I can't figure it out. Firmware? I dunno... I tried all the stuff posted in this thread, and I can't get it to work correctly.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I mislead by my wording. I am using HDMI now with a totally new setup and the same old panny 55 that I used to use analogues with. Now I'm going HDMI and I can't figure it out. Firmware? I dunno... I tried all the stuff posted in this thread, and I can't get it to work correctly.
Chances are the newest DDHD and DTSMA codecs cannot be transmitted via bitstream on your player. I don't know for sure, someone else can probably verify.

That's kinda what I'm asking above. I know the PS3 doesn't bitstream DDHD and DTSMA, so I guess the PS3 just passes a DD stream instead. The only way (I'm pretty sure) to get the DTSMA and DDHD is to let the player decode and send PCM to the AVR/prepro.

Edit:

Wait a minute...earlier you said you were sending PCM to your Onk, but in that last post you mentioned analog. If the latter is true, then your player was not only decoding the surround, but also performing the DAC function as well. I guess I'm a little confused.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Jethro, I'm using the BD55 analog outputs so my experience won't be of any help. Check out this article to see if anything it has to say will help.

Panasonic DMP-BD55 (DMP-BD55K) Blu-ray Player

The part that caught my eye was....

(Under "The "Set-Up"): I went into the audio settings menu (Digital Audio Output) to enable the bitstreaming audio, so I could pass DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD soundtracks to our Integra DTC-9.8 preamp/processor.

If you want to pass DTS and Dolby bitstreams directly to your A/V receiver or surround processor for decoding, simply select "Bitstream" for each and turn off secondary audio. This means you won't be able to hear the audio commentary tracks that appear as a supplemental feature on some Blu-ray Discs. But this is consistent with all Blu-ray players. If you want to enable commentary tracks then simply choose "PCM" output instead of bitstream and this will decode DTS and Dolby surround soundtracks to Linear PCM in the player, mixing in the commentary tracks in real-time.

(under "The Sound"): The BD55 can internally decode and bitstream all of the high bit rate advanced audio formats and lossless surround codecs including multi-channel PCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS-HD Master Audio. We verified that the player could both pass the raw bitstreams of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks

Sound and Vision Magaizine says something similar.

Panasonic DMP-BD55 Blu-ray Disc Player: Test Report

(Paragraph #3 under "SET UP"): While video setup is a snap on the BD55, configuring its audio can be more daunting. This is definitely one case where you’ll need to read the manual. When using an external receiver to decode standard or high-rez soundtracks, you first select the “Bitstream” Digital Audio Output option in the Audio menu for both Dolby and DTS variants. But if you have an older HDMI-equipped receiver that lacks Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD decoding, you’ll need to select “PCM” here instead. To experience the soundtracks in full high-rez form, you also have to remember to switch the BD-Video Secondary Audio option to Off, or you’ll just get plain-vanilla Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1.

If you have your BD-55 set up as above and still are not getting the DD HD or DTS MA displayed, the only other thing I can think of is to be certain the input you're using on the Onkyo is set to get the audio via HDMI, not digital (optical or coaxial) or analog multichannel.

·
I tried being mean once. I sucked at it.
26 Posts
So what would happen if you set the PS3 to bitstream? Would it pass it as regular DTS or DD?
IIRC, it's been awhile since I even thought about it. It sends it as stereo then the receiver will then decode it, but don't hold me to that it's been months since I've messed around with it. But there's a thread on AVS somewhere in regards to this.

EDIT: It sends it as a DD or DTS 5.1 Track check out the spreadsheet found here

1 - 20 of 64 Posts