Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for suggestions.
I have a marantz Sr 8000 that I have really enjoyed over the years. Unfortunately, I can only get the left channel to play in source direct mode when using the RCA in puts. The 5.1 works great with optical inputs. But, cd, tape, anything RCA (even front aux inputs) are dead on left front unless in direct mode.
Any one else ever dealt eith this?
Thank you for reading this.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Looking for suggestions.
I have a marantz Sr 8000 that I have really enjoyed over the years. Unfortunately, I can only get the left channel to play in source direct mode when using the RCA in puts. The 5.1 works great with optical inputs. But, cd, tape, anything RCA (even front aux inputs) are dead on left front unless in direct mode.
Any one else ever dealt eith this?
Thank you for reading this.
Hello,
That is an issue that I have not encountered. However, it is well worth going to a local Repair Shop and having them do a Diagnostic to find the root of the issue. Truth be told, it is great that at least the Digital Inputs are working and at this point Turntables and Tape Decks are about the only things that RCA's are required. Also, depending on how new your TV is, it could support a Dolby Digital 5.1 Output which would allow you to connect a Cable Box, DVD, Blu-Ray Player into the TV and get 5.1 Dolby Digital to your AVR. That is of course if the Connected Source is outputting 5.1
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you JJ.
This recent development makes me wonder if I should just update it. If sounds so good with the 5.1 digital inputs though! I just spent 250.00 getting the power supply replaced in it last year.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Thank you JJ.
This recent development makes me wonder if I should just update it. If sounds so good with the 5.1 digital inputs though! I just spent 250.00 getting the power supply replaced in it last year.
Hello,
Truth be told, I have not used an RCA Input in many years aside from the Preamp Outputs. As you just spent $250 on it, I would probably use it until it breaks personally. And as it sounds like you have a relationship with a Repair Center, perhaps the RCA Repair will not be cost prohibitive. Had you not just sunk $250 in the AVR last year, I would be rattling off AVR's to look at....
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If u were in the mood to rattle off a few recievers, what would they be?
I have a pair of b& w 603's in the front and center is b& w as well.
2. Audio pro rear speakers and a velodyne sub.
I have an older carver 5 channel amp 85 watts each that I can utilize as well if I go with a preamp.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Forgive my delay in replying to your Post. My Internet has been off and on for the past few days and today I had to drive 120 Miles to pickup an old friend from the Airport.

It is hard to give a specific recommendation without knowing the budget you feel comfortable spending. If wanting to use the Carver, the Onkyo 709, Denon 3312, Marantz 6005, and I think the Pioneer VSX-1121 all are the point where Preamp Outputs are offered. I am positive on all the Brands, but the Pioneer which I am 95% sure I am correct about.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. I totally forgot to include a price range. Probably $1000.00 max.
Any thoughts on integra Line or the umc-1 emotiva?
thanks,
Kenmo

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Would definitely advocate the Integra over the UMC-1. Especially either the 80.2 or 80.3 as they both offer Audyssey's stellar MultEQ XT32 coupled with SubEQ HT. And both are also Audyssey Pro compatible. However, XT32/SubEQ HT alone was a huge upgrade for my HT.

At $1000, you might have difficulty finding either Integra. The Onkyo TX-NR3009 would help you get far closer to the goal. While an AVR, it offers a solid Preamp Section. If you got a TX-NR3008, you could actually meet your stated budget, but if possible I would go ahead and get the 3009. Also, the Denon AVR-4311CI offers XT32/SubEQ HT and adds in Apple Airplay and a Preamp Only Mode where the Amplifiers are taken off line.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I am so glad you are here and please to not hesitate to ask of anything. Also, you might want to check out your local BB/Magnolia as they often blow out discontinued AVR's. Better still, you still get the full Warranty even if Open Box.
Cheers,
JJ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts