Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the TV in early 2010 had no problems until this morning.
I went to turn on the TV and cable box, Comcast, and only sound was coming through my surround sound speakers of the tv station I had on.
I'm not sure what the problem is? Could it be the HDMI connected from my TV and to my Denon AVR-590?What do you think?
I looked at my sources from the TV and could not locate the HD I 1/DV. Could it be the cable?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
There's not really a chance it could be the HDMI cable. It either works or it doesn't. That's the nature of the signal, and the standard. Does anyone else use the system, and could they maybe have changed a sound setting? Have you tried other stations? And your thread title doesn't seem to match the problem description. What am I missing?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just informing you what type of TV I had. I also stated the HDMI cable is hooked up to my Denon avr-590 receiver. To strange that I had no problems watching TV last night until this morning.
I turned the tv, receiver, and the cable box on to find the screen black but sound from the station I had coming through the speakers.
I checked the inputs and could not find the HDMI 1/DV 1 on the screen.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The first thing I would do is connect the HDMI cable to another HDMI input on the back of the TV. Make sure it visible (in the menu screen) when you push the "Source" button & then select it. If it's receiving the signal it will be will be brighter than the inputs that are not in use. It could be the HDMI cable, so if you have a spare, I would change the cable next. If that does not work try a component video cable & see if that will pass the video. Let us know if any of this works.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I was just informing you what type of TV I had.
Actually, no, you weren't. The title says "no picture" but I took your post to mean you had sound only through the surround speakers. After reading it again, I see you said "surround sound speakers" which you probably mean to include all the speakers, not just the surrounds. Surround speakers are the ones on the sides. The ones in front are called "mains." That's what confused me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, still, there is no picture and sound is coming from my main speakers and from the surround sound speakers.
I believe that is the best I describe the issue I'm having.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Sorry, I'm having a rough day. Please try Tonto's advice. Thank you :)

The first thing I would do is connect the HDMI cable to another HDMI input on the back of the TV. Make sure it visible (in the menu screen) when you push the "Source" button & then select it. If it's receiving the signal it will be will be brighter than the inputs that are not in use. It could be the HDMI cable, so if you have a spare, I would change the cable next. If that does not work try a component video cable & see if that will pass the video. Let us know if any of this works.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put the HDMI cable into the HDMI I put 2 on the TV. I hit the source button, and no signal was received. Should I replace the cable?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I would try the cable first just to eliminate that from the equation. Do you have an extra?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I removed the HDMI cable from the TV and receiver, I purchased a new one and made the necessary connections. That solved the problem, the HDMI we bad. Thanks all of you for your help, it was appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts