Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread will likely spark furious responses. Please, remember I am only trying to help. This worked well for me after using test mics and not liking the sound of 'flat' response.

My opinion only: Flat response is nice for microphones but MAYBE not for the most satisfying listening environment.

To do this I connected the headphone output of my laptop through RCA adapters to my AVR's CD input. Then I sat in my usual listening position with the laptop in my lap.:)

To get the sound that I found most pleasing, I used my laptop and Room EQWizard's Tone Generator. I set the signal generator to 'Follow Cursor' and to generate a sine wave. Using the mouse, I changed the frequency moving through the frequencies where my 5 surround speakers crossed over into the subwoofer. This let me hear exactly where peak frequencies were. It turned out they were exactly where the Mark Taw Room Mode Calulator predicted they would be. A great side effect of this method was that it helped me get my subwoofer phase adjusted 'correctly'. In the process of manually sweeping the tone from low to high frequencies I found a significant null around 65Hz. I slowly adjusted the phase control of the sub amp until the null was no longer present and the response 'sounded' even to my ears. I didn't even bother to hook up the test mic setup again.

To all those that will want to chew me up for suggesting such an unsophisticated approach, remember, the holidays are coming and Santa will know if you've been naughty or nice:)

Mark Taw Room Mode Calculator link: http://www.marktaw.com/recording/Acoustics/RoomModeStandingWaveCalcu.html

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I see no reason for a furious response, and we don't "chew" each other up here at Home Theater Shack. There is nothing wrong with your method if if works to your liking. Others may prefer to do things differently, and may perceive different advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for the automatic room calculator, probably a useful tool if you have a completely rectangular room, which I don't. It's pretty sweet though. I saved the link.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Nobody will chew you here for trying something new and sharing your experiences, thats what we're all here for :T

It does sound from your description that your talking about testing the crossover area only, but can you confirm, I assume you swept from 0-200 hz as is the norm?

I dont see a problem with your method, and it will be especially useful for people who dont have a mic so it will be very beneficial for people that applies too. Out of interest, did you do a graph after your setup with the mic to actually see just how your ears performed, I think the results could be very interesting.

I do see bit of an issue compared to using a mic. If you have a null in your room caused by phase, and is it in amongst some other dips, it would be difficult to find the phase problem. Of course, the best way to spot it would be when EQ'ing doesnt remove the dip, but I do think it would be a fairly difficult process compared with using a mic and graph.

FWIW, I have always said you use EQ to get a flat response so you know your missing no content, then fine tune that to what your ears prefer. I see no problem with using your ears to set your system up at all :T

·
Registered
355 Posts
FWIW, I have always said you use EQ to get a flat response so you know your missing no content, then fine tune that to what your ears prefer. I see no problem with using your ears to set your system up at all :T
I would say that you are definitely on the right track there as far as factoring in the sound to human part of the 'signal chain'

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Its the ears that matter in the end, if they arent happy then everything is moot. If you leave it till last though, and get the technical stuff out the way first, it also affords you the peace of mind your ears arent missing anything or deceiving you in any way. I think of final system setup like making a new instrument, the last thing done is a tuning by ear to ensure everything is just so :T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts