Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All- new to the board and to the hobby. I just got an Epson 6500ub. I have a family room about 18 x 20 ft, pretty good light control. Mix of HD Cable, PS3 games, and movie watching. Projector is ceiling mounted about 14 feet away. Seating about 14 feet away also. I put up a do-able board because it is cheap and it will allow me to decide on eventual screen size, how much ambient light I can tolerate, etc. And who knows, I may stick with the do-able.

Two evenings of messing around with the system. I love the projector. I like a LARGE picture for movies, and I like to fill the screen (I have a 4 x 8 screen) for movies.

Issues: I notice the do-able board itself a fair amount on light scenes. Distracting, but I am of course looking for stuff right now. Ambient light is not a huge issue, but I would like to have more light on in general for sports/ps3 if possible.

I was thinking about going to a DW white screen, perhaps 50" tall in a 2.35:1 configuration. Then have a magnetic masking system for TV/PS3 use in the 16:9 configuration.

My questions are:

1) is the DW a step up from the do-able, and do you guys "see" the screen much with the Fashion White version?

2) how many would go for the fashion grey in this situation?

I am not an experienced painter, so painted screens or even coating the FG will be a hassle for me at the very least. Thanks in advance for your help-- this is a great forum.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi smokhee,

Welcome to the Shack!

I don't have much experience with laminates, but I think the DW may be a little bit whiter than the Do-able. The problem is that both of them are white screens and it doesn't take much ambient light to degrade the image. The only answer to that problem, without painting, is to go with FG.

If you really need to stay with using a laminate and want something lighter in shade than FG, I think WA does have some custom colors that may do the trick, but they are special order items.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I believe Doable would be the equivalent of DW but in a smaller form. I don't think Doable ever had it's gain tested but I did receive a sample from someone for the spectro.

That reads at 229 232 230 for RGB.

Designer White

93.3 -1.18 0.27 L*a*b
0.312 0.330 83.7 xyY
234 236 235 RGB

There fairly close, white-wise but I think DW gives a bit more gain as I think it's a bit more specular.

As to the Fashion Grey, the number of folks who've had it hot spot on them is relatively few. If I were to guess I'd say around 25%. And if it does it would need a coating of some sort to tame that. The old tried and true would be a clear matte polyurethane. Unfortunately those yellow over a relative short time and we don't recommend the use of them anymore. We are actually looking into the use of other clear coatings - things that to our knowledge haven't ever been tried before. But we're not quite there yet.

So how much do you enjoy lights being on? If you like the lights on I'd recommend a gray screen. And since you don't want to paint that leaves us at laminates or a commercial screen. Did you know that you could pick up an Elite screen with either the PowerGain or the CineGray material relatively cheaply? You can get a 100" Silver Frame series with PowerGain for under $300 (a 120"is only $339 plus shipping from Newegg). Same for a 106" CineGrey. Thing is it will be 16:9. You can get a Focupix 2.35:1 for under $300 as well. A 110" costs $270 and a 120" costs around $310. Keep in mind that all of the commercial screens out there don't cost an arm and a leg. Elite makes a great product and I reviewed the Silver Frame series here. I've always said that if they would have sent me a 100" screen to try I'd still be using it. ;) And one of these days I may just buy one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I will have to look into the Elite screens. How do they compare to the diy screens? Coming from you, mech, that is quite an endorsement.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
They're a bit limited selection-wise. But great bang for their buck. While I cannot recall what it cost me for the sheet of laminate itself - I do recall paying more than most and I got mine directly from Wilsonart - once you factor in the cost of backing materials, velvet, your time , etc. Elite makes a lot of sense. :dontknow: I do believe that Designer White would be better than their CineWhite. But you say you want lights on so therefore you may want to take a look at the CineGray option. You have more than enough lumens for it in a 120" screen.

If you really start to get serious about Elite, I'd email them and have them send you a 2' square sample of CineWhite, CineGray, PowerGain, and any other material they offer for their Silver Series frame. Then you can try them out and find out what works for you. :T

Also, regarding Focupix, I've had no exposure to them. So I have no idea how their material would compare to diy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi mech- thanks again for the advice. I will indeed get some samples from Elite. I am still trying to figure out how much light control I want for most of my viewing, so I don't know if I want white or grey. I already have a DW sample (white) coming my way, so it will be interesting to compare side-by-side with the Elite. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts