Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hello Paladin, Welcome aboard!

I also agree with Mark, Onkyo's are tough to beat I have one and so do several other here on the Shack and none of us have had the so called heat issue with them.

The Denon 3808 is a great choice but my question to you is do you need the networking ability of it? otherwise you can save a fair bit of cash and just go with the Onkyo 805 as it by far has the best bang for buck even over the newer 806 that by the way is almost 15 lbs lighter than the 805.
For speakers have alook at SVS, The SBS-01 speaker system is better than the ones mentioned above and you get a great sub with it as well.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I agree with earlier comments about spending less on a receiver and spending more on speakers. "Buy a receiver for features, buy speakers for sound." Onkyo 706, Pioneer 1018 and others in the $600-1000 MSRP range will give you all you need and leave you coin for better speakers. The more powerful the amp you get, the more heat it will generate. I have an Onkyo 606 and, it spite of all the comments about it being a space heater, only runs warm to me.
That is true to a certain point. The problem with your statement that good speakers will give you good sound is only half true because if you remember the old saying "garbage in garbage out" If your receiver is using poor cheep components (DACs, signal path and amp) it wont matter how good your speakers are. You still need to spend a decent amount of money on a receiver or there will be a difference in sound quality.
I highly recomend the Onkyo 876 if you have the cash. It has everything you ask for and more.
Features:
• 140 W/Ch Minimum into 8 Ohms, 20 Hz 20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 Channels Driven, FTC
• Burr Brown 192 kHz/24-Bit Audio DACs (PCM1796) for All Channels
• HQV Reon-VX Video Processing with 1080p Upscaling of All Video Sources via HDMI
• HD Radio Reception Capability
• Powered Zone 2 (Audio and Video); Zone 2 and Zone 3 Pre-Outs

1 - 2 of 2 Posts