Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that parts express was having a sale in 2 weeks and thought i would check it out and possible build a sonosub. I currently have an SW 310 and it does well for music but i would like sub 25hz for home theater. I was thinking a sonosub because of the floor print and ease of building. I have not built a sonosub before or any subwoofer before.
I was wondering if i could get some help from the experienced builders on size driver (15"?), amp, and any tips that might help. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I think 15s are a good sweet spot for a sonosub. What is your budget?

The Dayton RSS390HF is one good choice if you're trying to keep it inexpensive. However I'm not sure it will fit your criteria of "small" footprint, especially in an LLT. If you're willing to spend more, the TC Sounds options are essentially excellent.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the tc 15s but there are 2 versions. Budget is 500 ish but that can change if "a little more "will get me the sub 20hz im looking for. The way the room is set up i have a nice 24in area that a sonosub would fit into. The actual driver will depend on what PE has on sale when i show up to the tent sale. Im looking at what drivers would be a good buy when i go and what sized amp would work too. The upgrade bug is a bad thing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a couple more questions before i go to the tent sale.
What is the difference between the tc sound axis 15 quad drive and the tc sound lms-r 15 ? Which one would be better in the sono sub application?
Second question is do i get an amp from PE or get a behringer amp hopefully used on craigslist?

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I have had bad luck with sub amps from PE - had 3 fail (two 240s and one 500 plate type) at just over a year use on each. My advice - PE has good sub drivers, but go elsewhere for amps.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have a couple more questions before i go to the tent sale.
What is the difference between the tc sound axis 15 quad drive and the tc sound lms-r 15 ? Which one would be better in the sono sub application?
Second question is do i get an amp from PE or get a behringer amp hopefully used on craigslist?
I believe the fan noise of most pro amps like the behringer EP2500, even after mods, is audible and thus detrimental to midrange intelligibility. If it has a fan, it needs to have temp controlled variable fan speed. Otherwise you better have another room to stick it in.

I also don't believe in basic plate amps though. They generally don't have great reliability, partially due to their inherent cooling mechanism and also just things like build quality and built-in "fiex" low cut filtering making things convoluted.

So I would recommend a high powered pro amp with variable speed fans. I like the Crown Drivecore XLS stuff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunatly they sold out of the tc sound lms before i could get one. 20% off would have been great too. Back to the drawling board. I think ill keep an eye out for the crown amps, i see them on craigslist from time to time. Fyi if anyone is looking to build speakers, the parts express tent sale was great for my friend. He picked up 2 tweeters, 2 4", 2 6", and 2 10" woofers for less then $20 for his car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts