Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have been playing with the REW for about a week now, and am quite impressed and eager to get started. I have read the help files, but I tend to be a person that learns more by doing than by reading. Problem is, I don't want to damage anything in my main system because I missed something. Keep in mind that most here have forgotten more about this stuff than I will ever know, so here goes:

1) Input levels to the AVR. Is there a setting in REW that needs to be set such that I don't overload the Line-In inputs on my Denon?

2) I have read in multiple places that running a sine wave through loudspeakers (and particularly subs) can damage them. What levels are safe? I am running dual SVS for the sub, Infinities for the mains, and Boston Acoustics for the rear surrounds.

For now, a BFD is not in the budget (my dual SVS cylinders kinda saw to that), so now all I want is to get a FR curve for my HT room. I am hopeful that my naiveté will begin to wane as I continue to work more with it. Thanx!

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
1) Input levels to the AVR. Is there a setting in REW that needs to be set such that I don't overload the Line-In inputs on my Denon?
There is a setup in REW for both input and output levels of the PC soundcard. Since it's line-level you're not going to damage anything in your AVR. Begin the setup with the volume control of your AVR at minimum and all will be fine. You should follow through the setup in the HELP files.

2) I have read in multiple places that running a sine wave through loudspeakers (and particularly subs) can damage them. What levels are safe? I am running dual SVS for the sub, Infinities for the mains, and Boston Acoustics for the rear surrounds.
You'll be using sweeps with REW, so no problem. The levels are all at safe level if you follow through the setup.

brucek

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx, Bruce!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts