Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! This is my first post on this forum. I came across the Home Theater Shack while looking for sound measurement software to tune a car audio installation. I am going to use an M-Audio USB Pre + Behringer ECM 8000 mic & REW. I want to do time alignment, level matching, set active crossovers & EQ. Now to my noob question- Since it seems my measurements will deal with relative sound levels between the various speakers, is there some way to set a ballpark sound level in the software with out blowing another $50 on an SPL meter or is one abslutely neccessary?

By the way, this is a neat site with lots of good info. I will be moving on to my home stereo/theater this winter.

Thanks for the help.

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Yeah, I would recommend both the SPL meter and the Behringer mic for your application. The ECM8000 will be fine for your full range setup, but you need to have a reference level calibrated in the software. This way any changes you make on subsequent days will at least be close. Otherwise your session-to-session measurements could be all over the place.

I have the M-Audio MobilePre (USB) -- it has phantom power for the microphone. Otherwise you would need a separate mixer that could power the mic. I like the MobilePre because I can do measurements without needing anything externally powered. Makes portability and setup much easier.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts