Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to start, i have been reading for hours and hours. Don't want to sound TOO stupid before my first post, but here goes. I have purchased the BFD. I have read all instructions on cabling hookups. I am running of the Audigy Z25 laptop card in Dell laptop. I am inputting in the cd input on Pioneer 92txh per the diagram on cabling. When preparing to calibrate RS SPL, most of the sound comes from front speakers (KEF iQ7).

1. Should front speakers be set to off/disconnected from system.

2. When going into CD input, should use L/R channel to do so.

3. Any particular RCA cables to use when hooking up.

When connected once, i was able to get read on REW but was awful.

p.s. Have a Outlaw LFM-EX 1. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
486 Posts
1. Should front speakers be set to off/disconnected from system.

2. When going into CD input, should use L/R channel to do so.

3. Any particular RCA cables to use when hooking up.

When connected once, i was able to get read on REW but was awful.

p.s. Have a Outlaw LFM-EX 1. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
1. Yes, if you want just a sub measurement. Start here first.
2. No, just use the right and then split just before the receiver (see link below).
3. Standard should be fine.

Make sure to calibrate using the REW sub cal signal. This will play just some low Hz pink noise that will help you calibrate just the sub.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/attachments/spl-meters-mics-calibration/8157d1214146630-rew-cabling-connection-basics-rew-interconnection-rs-meter1.jpg

:R

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response. So coming out of the soundcard. Using the r out but using a splitter that will go into the l/r cd input on receiver? Then do a loop back with main speakers off. Will give it a try.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also when REW says that more headroom, too low. I'm not raising master volume but raising input source, per se, the input volume of subwoofer thru receiver? Man i feel stupid.

·
Registered
486 Posts
thanks for the response. So coming out of the soundcard. Using the r out but using a splitter that will go into the l/r cd input on receiver? Then do a loop back with main speakers off. Will give it a try.
You don't need the loop back all the time. It can be disconnected.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Also when REW says that more headroom, too low. I'm not raising master volume but raising input source, per se, the input volume of subwoofer thru receiver? Man i feel stupid.
NO!!!!!!! The input control on the sound card (on your computer). It is a separate control from the volume. DO NOT raise the subwoofer on the receiver. :foottap:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, my card has a digital output that I can use. I can use that instead of the splitter? Then use rca cable from SPL meter to input on the card. With no loopback.Then raise input control thru soundcard mixer with mains disconnected. Will give it a try. Thanks.

·
Registered
486 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have followed the diagram to the "T". Still getting db to low. From the output jack, I have the recommended splitter from soundcard to receiver(cd input) using standard rca cables.With both left and right connected to cd input. From SPL meter, I have rca connected to input of soundcard. From OS settings, I have soundcards at highest levels. On REW setting, input and output are at highest levels also. On receiver, sub is set to "0". Still getting to low readings. I am not doing any loopback with this configuration.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
How low is the reading? Have you selected Analog Mix as the input on the Creative mixer and muted everything except Wave and Line In?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts